Thursday, 6 January 2011

Too soon

There has been the sad news this week of two talented men, both in their early sixties and taken too soon. Gerry Rafferty was an introspective, sensitive man who did not take to the fame that went with the popularity of his music. His songs were part of my youth and I wanted to share my favourite track of his. On hearing this again the words just seem very appropriate.

On Monday I read the news in the paper that designer, weaver, printmaker and potter, John Hinchcliffe passed away suddenly before Christmas. I have a couple of books about his work and always think in colours when I hear his name. He worked with his partner Wendy Barber and their work can be seen here. If you're not aware of the breadth of his work please take a look.

3 comments:

Jill said...

Another sad loss is the actor Pete Postlethwaite, who features in Julie Walter's autobiography which I just happened to be reading when the news broke. It is that time of year unfortunately.
And thanks for the links to John Hinchcliff's colourful work. It is familiar to me, but I hadn't made the link with the names.
Jill

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Jill,
I heard the news on the radio too about Pete Postlethwaite, equally too young to go.He did a season at the Bristol Old Vic many moons ago and was a fabulous actor to see live.It's a rare talent that can be that good in all mediums. Lesley

Marigold Jam said...

Such a shame - they do say the good die young though don't they? Have popped over to the Hinchcliffe and Barber website - lovely designs. Quite scary how many 60 somethings are dying isn't it?

Jane