Monday, 3 January 2011

Go Harvey

I've just been reading Jill's latest post over at Third Age Musings. It's a tough post about her beloved cat Marvin, a real character that regular readers of her blog have come to know and love. He has some health issues at the moment and Jill has been heart searching about what to do for him for the best.

It reminded me so much of the same dilemmas we had years ago when our dog Beauty was ill. I inherited her when I picked up with her owner and married him. I'd never had a dog before and was quite unprepared for that unconditional love that you get from them. She had an uncanny knack of knowing when I would be getting home from work. I used to travel all over the country and had irregular hours but without fail she'd go and sit by the front door about 10 minutes before I arrived every time. I was lost when we had to put her down. She was about 15 and having strange turns and fits and , in the end, the vet virtually made the decision for us.

In the years since we've often talked about getting another dog and even enquired about greyhound rescue once but they said our garden would have had to be fenced in all round for security. At an acre in size and surrounded by open farmland and woodland it just wasn't an option, but every time I see this advertisement on the television I look at my husband and say 'I want a Harvey'. One look at that face and I want to give him a home, especially as he could do my ironing as well! I know everyone has probably seen this to death but I love it and had to post it so I can watch it again any time I like!

6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I had never seen this ad before - it's so cute! I know the feeling of having to have a much loved pet put down and the hole that is left but I have to say I don't think I would deliberately tie myself down again once I no longer have our two cats. It would be wonderful to be able to go away or to stay out overnight without having to make arrangements with the cattery first! I know that dogs can often go with you but even then there are many places where they are not welcome. However I dare say that the hole would be too much and the lack of that unconditional love more than I could bear - we'll see when the time comes.

Jane x

menopausalmusing said...

Do you know what Lesley? That has been my favourite advert since it came on. It never fails to leave me smiling... :O))))))

Dan said...

Oh I love the Harvey advert Lesley, it's one of my favourites!!
Just think how happy one of those waggy-tailed furries from the dogs home would be with an acre of garden to bound around in!
Though our dogs are frequently naughty (well, OK just Frankie really), and they are a tie, I can't imagine ever being dogless. Besides, it's the only exercise I get!
A dog that can iron ... just imagine!
Dan
-x-

Jill said...

I have lived with a dog(in a house share) - a border collie called Mingus. She and my cat of the time were great friends. When my friends and dog moved out I didn't see them for ages, but was I thrilled when I did see them several years later that Mingus greeted me as a long lost friend. Now a cat would never do that.
Love this ad and saw his owner talking about him in one of those review programmes. He was obviously the apple of her eye and would do anything for a treat!

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Isn't Harvey gorgeous! I don't know which scene I like most - the one where he comes out of the loo is so funny. But then when you see him sitting with his little suitcase packed, ready to go - it just melts my heart! A great ad.

Perhaps it's time for you to venture down that path again ...:-)

Jeanne
x

Anna Mavromatis said...

Truly great! It also stirred in me the longing for a dog, but having experienced the end of life of two dogs I just cannot handle that sadness again...
I am proud of my son who adopted a seven year old "Harvey" from the animal shelter