This week I finished another module in my art course. Only one more module to go this year and a break for a month now although there is a list of preparatory work for the next one that's as long as your arm.... I'll now be moving from focussing on abstract work into abstracting the landscape, trying to build on techniques I've been using recently. In recent weeks I've probably painted more canvases that I ever have in my life and my tutor has pushed me into using colour and breaking out of my favoured monochromatic choice. In some masochistic way I've enjoyed the challenge yet choosing to paint is not truly me.
When left to my own devices the inclination is to layer up the paint using those beautiful sounding names like 'transparent red oxide' and 'quinacrodone burnt orange', throwing in a bit of 'phalo turquoise'.... and not forgetting black... deep, unctuous, glossy, carbon black.
The more I look at the pieces I like the more I see that they are very akin to prints and the depth of colour is so similar to what a print can give to you. I think Im going to follow the urge to make a few collagraph plates and get my hands covered in ink instead of paint for a few weeks.... watch this space.
6 comments:
Congrats on your TWO firsts....... wow! Definitely follow the urge to get covered in ink if that is what your head is telling you.
Re paint colour names: I used to (and still do!) love "Bengal Rose", it always makes think of furtive looks with the eyes from side to side followed by "knock three times and ask for Bengal Rose". ;o)
Talent will out - hence those firsts! I love the earthy monochromes, especially the last two. They are full of light and movement. It's an area I have never explored - I have very mixed feelings about abstract work, I am very drawn to some work but cannot put my finger on what it is that appeals or otherwise. I will definitely keeping an eye on your postings Leslie.
Stunning work Lesley thanks for sharing. I love the rich ochre ones and the graphic black and White - some fabulous prints could emerge. Thanks again!
Two firsts! Well done for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, you've produced some fantastic artwork.
Fab things bubbling away here, you are right they look like starting points for prints, but you know me I think everything looks like a starting point for a print...or an enamel!!!
These are fabulous. I especially like the marks in the last two - very print like! Congratulations on your results too.
Post a Comment