Last week I took delivery of Gina's recent dvd. Now, machine embroidery is something I've tried before but I've never felt quite at ease with. Mainly that's because I find it difficult to actually see what I'm stitching through the darning foot but I really want to crack that because I have been inspired by so many textile artists who used the technique with paper instead of fabric and have made the medium their own. It started years ago when I read an article about Louise Baldwin and how she often combines paper with stitch and it all came rushing back to me last week when I found the work of Helen Hallows.
Through a small comment in a magazine about an exhibition in the Sock Gallery here called 'Patterned Presence' I then went to Helen's website and instantly related to the colourful landscapes and images she creates by using found and painted papers with machine stitch. Helen uses old book pages and end papers etc and being a self confessed paper hoarder I must have a lifetime's worth of materials to play with if I can only master the control of the machine rather than let it control me!

An e mail to Helen gave me the OK to show some of her images but this is only a fraction of what there is to see. Have a good look on the link above and then follow the link to a great blog that Helen writes. Another one to definitely add to that 'Favourites' list.In the meantime I am practising with the techniques before I trust myself stitching onto paper. Gina's dvd is a very professional offering. The step by step process really opened my eyes and I have learned some key things from it immediately.... despite falling at the first hurdle of having a clean machine. Oh dear. I always wondered what that little brush was for. Now I know and I've rectified the situation. It's all systems go now.... I just have to overcome the fear of cutting up my precious papers.....
6 comments:
Like I said: I am also a sewing machine slut (I hang my head in shame at the state of filth contained within my machine). I am also looking forward to using my DVD. Great links there Lesley.... thank you
Helen's artwork is stunning! Absolutely beautiful. I don't know where to start with my sewing machine, so a much more basic course (ie how to thread the needle) is probably more appropriate for me :o(
x
I belong to the same club as you and wonder why my machine won't do what I want it to then discover it's filthy! I have already had a stab at sewing paper and material and your post inspires me to continue with this mixed media machine embroidery - I can hardly wait to go and check out the websites - hadn't realised that Gina was a published crafter and will view her with new eyes in future!
Drop those feed dogs and go ...
Thank you Lesley... really hope it continues to inspire you especially if you can make landscapes as beautiful as those shown. Off to check out the links!
Have fun experimenting Lesley - altho I have heard you need to take care with stitching paper re blunting needles and causing occasional havoc with bobbin threads! Good reminder re cleaning - I am guilty as charged on that one as well.There's quite a club of us it seems!
Post a Comment