My alarm goes off at 5.15am and I rise at 5.30am each weekday. This morning the BBC 5.30 news began with the announcement that it was the exact time of the start of the Winter Solstice. It's all downhill from here until Spring and I always see it as a turning point in the year. People observe this time of year in many different ways. I tend to reflect on the year that has passed and the season to come. This poem seems to encapsulate for me what is happening during this time. The poet is Welshman, Vernon Watkins, a one-time friend of Dylan Thomas, and a man who was being considered as Poet Laureate at the time of his death in the 1960's. Not widely read these days so I'd like to change that, if only for today. The poem is called 'Great Night's Returning':Great night's returning, midnight's constellations
Gather from groundfrost that unnatural brilliance.
Night now transfigures, walking in the starred ways,
Tears for the living.
Earth now takes back the secret of her changes.
All the wood's dropped leaves listen to your footfall.
Night has no tears, no sound among the branches;
Stopped is the swift stream.
Spirits were joined when hazel leaves were falling.
Then the stream hurrying told of separation
This is the fire's world, and the voice of Autumn
Stilled by the death-wand.
Under your heels the icy breath of Winter
Hardens all roots. The Leonids are flying.
Now the crisp stars, the circle of beginning;
Death, birth, united.
Nothing declines here. Energy is fire-born.
Twigs catch like stars or serve for your divining;
Lean down and hear the subterranean water
Crossed by the quick dead.
Now the soul knows the fire that first composed it
Sinks not with time but is renewed hereafter.
Death cannot steal the light which love has kindled
Nor the years change it.
8 comments:
I love the last two lines. Can't imagine what 5.30 might look like though!!
Thank you for this poem to finish off this half of the winter. Its been a pleasure 'following' your fascinating posts this year, thank you very much, have a Happy Christmas, Wx
I second Wendy - you are a delight to read and to have met! :O)))
It's a lovely thought that we are ont he downhill run.....
Catching up again. What a lovely bunch of posts! So glad we're past the solstice. So hate going out and coming home in the dark...
Beautiful poem!
Thank you Lesley for all your wonderful posts, and the joy I get every time I stop by...
Happy new season!
Beautiful words Lesley to ground us urban dwellers especially,
I will think of you when the cat shut in the kitchen wakes me at 5.30 and we both rush back to bed!
Here's to the returning light and many more wonderful gems from Printed Material.
Lovely poem, Lesley. It was very dark here yesterday at 5.30 am - makes one feel that lighter days will never come. Here's to the new.
Just what winter is all about. Festive greetings to you and Roy and hope to see you in the New Year for artistic fun and frolics. XX
Post a Comment