Sunday, 4 December 2011

What's happening?

I am trying to get 'festive' and think about ideas for the season. I wondered if I could make some mini reindeer decorations from weaving the willow we have growing in the field next door. My husband planted hundreds of whips there a few years ago and they are a good height to start cutting from so I went up to have a gander yesterday and noticed again how this autumn/winter has had a strange effect on the plants. Despite flocks of redwings and fieldfares a few weeks back all of our hollies have been left with their berries on; great if I wanted to make a wreath or garland. Most years it's a non-starter because the birds have had them all.


The paper bark maple is looking a little shredded but is still holding on to its lovely skin but the viburnum mariesii shrubs have had a show of glorious autumn leaves combined with a burst of their usual spring flowers. Now the leaves have dropped but the flower heads cling on.

Strangest of all - and I'd love to know if anyone else has seen this - are the teasels. We have a large stand of them right up at the top of the garden and I had to pass them on my way back from the field. The green caught my eye and I thought they were rotting and mouldy until I looked closer and noticed that next years seedlings are sprouting in the seedhead already! I always assumed the wind or the birds took most of them and dispersed them in the usual way. Or am I wrong? Perhaps this is not unusual at all but I'd love to know one way or another.

As a footnote: I cut some willow and tried to make a reindeer but the idea in my head did not communicate itself with my hands so they won't be making a blog appearance any time soon!









4 comments:

Jill said...

I was just commenting on the geraniums that are still in full flower. There are daisies open in the grass and it could do with a cut. Our pyracantha berries are untouched too. Not sure I can bear to watch David Attenborough on Wednesday talking about global warming - I find it so distressing. Although I do not wish snow and ice on anyone, at least last year I did feel as if we'd had a proper winter.
Have you other plans for your willows?
And I certainly have never seen your teasel phenomena before!

menopausalmusing said...

What a coincidence! We had David's daughter here yesterday taking photos (She's doing a Masters in Photography). They came in to tell me that our big daisies were "sprouting new plants from the seed heads". I have just been down and looked. Sorry your reindeer didn't come to fruition!

Marigold Jam said...

It's totally weird isn't it? We have nasturtiums and a couple of your brave marigolds still in bloom and also several primroses. Several of the trees have still got leaves and it really doesn't seem like winter at all just yet. We'll be sorry I said that when we are all snowed in won't we?

Haven't seen the teasels close up round here so don't know if they are the same as yours.

Will you make a basket or something else slightly easier with your willows?

Sue Brown said...

You have compounded my festive mood as Rob and I have just finished making our Christmas cards...yep I'm bragging. XX