Friday, 13 April 2012

Drawing on....

Thanks to everyone who has left a comment on my previous post or sent me an e mail about the book give-away. My husband is in training flexing his muscles ready to lift the names out of the hat - or bowl - on Sunday night. He is a bit stressed out about the responsibility as some people have sort of suggested which book they might like should their name get chosen..... he is feeling under pressure to perform well on the night so to make it a bit easier for him I have made a few more this week, finally using the last scraps of that banana paper! I'm not sure about the one above. The covers are rusted paper with banana paper pages but it is not my finest hour so it may not end up on anyone's doorstep anytime soon. What I will be adding to the others in the last post are the following:

A small origami folded pocket book. I've already added some manilla tags in each pocket but the choice of what to put in them eventually will be up to the recipient!





Last year sometime I relief printed some of the bamboo in the garden onto some paper already painted with acrylic inks. The signatures for the ensuing book idea have sat there for all this time so this week I cut them in two to make a smaller but chunkier book. It can be painted over or collaged over but it makes a change from the blank pages which I put into the small red book. It's very simple, plain pages sewed over tapeswith some monoprint offcuts for covers. Actually, I think it is one of my favourites. I like 'simple'.




I've also been experimenting with making flag books this week, something I've not done too much of before. These old Typhoo tea cards have a fabulous shape which just lends itself to this structure but I think I could have made the spine wider and the book would have then closed better. Still, you live and learn and I am quite happy to put it into the draw if someone likes the look of it.


Finally, in the last post I said I'd won the little letter in Jane's give-away along with some other treats. Together with some lovely cards and books, Jane generously sent me some wedding photographs because when we were all posting about our 'collections' last year I owned up to my predilection for collecting photographs of people's weddings. I don't know any of the people in them and the older they are, the better. I just love imagining who they were and hoping they had happy lives. This one here is just fantastic. The note on the back from the senders says 'Here we are in our wedding clothes......' Look closely at those outfits. This lady is wearing an incredible hat and sporting a tippet or stole made of something wild and previously alive.... could it be a ferret? As for her groom, I love the fact that his trousers have lost sight of his spats. Perhaps he dressed in a hurry or maybe he was not a standard size. Is it my imagination or does his head look too large for his body? A studied glance at that hat he's carrying suggests it really was as big as it seems......

Actually, now I've scrolled down past the photo I can see it's not a ferret but what on earth was it? Any ideas? Have a great weekend everyone. I'll post the results of the draw on Monday morning. Still time to leave comments if anyone else wants to join in.















11 comments:

Gill said...

I love your birds' eggs and nests book!
I would guess that the fur in your photo is a fox!

Sara Bowen said...

Ooh yes, it could be a northern fox or perhaps ermine? It has that ferret-y look about it. I'm glad it stayed still for the photo! The books look lovely, especially the bamboo prints so my fingers are crossed that your husband's flexing fingers fing my name! Sara x

menopausalmusing said...

You just keep on astounding me with your books - I sat here slack jawed looking at them.

Loving that wedding photo - there's the man with his large head and short legs and then there's the mystery animal with its tiny head and what seems a huge amount of fur.

Fiona Dempster said...

The first word I thought of was stoat - but that proves my antipodean heritage me thinks - I have no idea! I just have to say whichever way it all falls when your husband draws names, that your generosity is amazing and wonderful and touching. Go well F

Jill said...

Your bride's hat is pretty amazing too, what a stylish couple! They appear to be standing in front of a fabric back drop as you can see the drape of it at the bottom - it's a masterpiece of trompe l'oeil if it's painted.
As for your books, they're masterpieces too.

Joanna said...

Oh your Typhoo Tea card book is WONDERFUL! Poor Mr Printed Material, he must be feeling the pressure!

That is a wonderful wedding photo; I have to agree with your observation about his head and, in fact, his trousers. Poor chap, he doesn't quite seem to match up to the standard of his new wife! Maybe it was the fashion at the time but her head seems remarkably small and appears to be somewhat drowned in that hat!

x
ps should my name be lucky and be drawn out of Mr PM's hat, I really don't mind which book I'm sent :o)

Kitsch and Curious said...

Your books are beautiful, and I envy your neatness! I had to look up what a flag book is, so thank you for introducing me to something new!

The photo is rather marvellous, isn't it? I can't take my eyes off his spats now!

Patricia G said...

These are all lovely books, very skillfully made. I'd love a chance to win any one of them.
The photo, a great find, shows a short, big boned man with a particularly petite wife. Her hat - very strange and fur look like they could have been props at the photographer's. One head but several foxes gone into that fur.
Thank you for all your inspiring posts.

Sheila said...

Just love all the books you make Lesley. So inspiring !

halina said...

Always read your blog Lesley, you are always doing something interesting and imaginative. Would like to enter the draw for one of your beautiful books. Halina

Jane Housham said...

Hi Lesley
I'm just catching up with your blog as I've been in Cornwall for the last week. I think I've missed your giveaway but never mind. I'm really glad you were tickled by the wedding photos. You've been so productive lately -- the rusty nibs look great.
Jane