Sunday, 22 April 2012

Sewing books

 I made this  little chap a few weeks ago as a present for my friend Joan. She hits a milestone birthday tomorrow and she is always someone who loves a personally made gift but I've got used to him sitting on my shelf and can't bear to part with him now so I needed a plan B. Earlier this week I travelled home to visit family and spend a lovely morning with friend and fellow blogger Cathy who had promised to explain how to layer images in Photoshop to me. Well, I knew she was taking on a mammoth task but she managed to get the basic process fixed in my head and I have been practising ever since - with varied results it has to be said, but I'm getting there Cathy... honest....
 Anyway, I had made Cathy a little book as a way of saying thank you for her time and the wonderful lunch she gave me and I liked it so much myself (words I rarely say!) that I decided to make a similar one for Joan's birthday. The only thing I'd bought for Cathy's was some tape from a local shop that looked like a tape measure, otherwise everything has come from my scraps bag and old stuff I've been collecting for that day when inspiration might strike and I'd know exactly what to do with it. If it didn't lie within arms reach of my desk I have not used it! I repeated a lot of the elements for Joan's book using pages folded from torn watercolour paper and stitched together later on the sewing machine. It's a bit wonky but I shall be convincing Joan that it is 'organic' and 'unique'. It is made from collections of old sewing stuff mounted and put into little tracing paper pockets. There was no plan as such. I just did what I felt like doing and luckily had enough tape and ribbon left to adorn the covers and enable it to be tied close.




I still cannot stop making books at the moment it seems and I have been asked to run a small workshop in St Davids next month working with a group of printmakers, using their prints to make their own books. I am really looking forward to that and it has come about because of Sheila and Deborah, two lovely girls I met on my last course module. The book give away was great fun too and I may do that again in the near future. In the meantime I need to go off and wrap this book up for Joan. Then I'm going back to practising those layers using some great photos of rusty stuff that I took the other day whilst out on a jaunt to the beach. I hope the memory holds out. Wish me luck.....

15 comments:

Gina said...

The little book is delightful and I'm sure you friend will love it.

Joanna said...

I'm sure Joan will adore her little book and appreciate the time and thought that went into making it. I really like the torn edges and stitching.

How exciting to be running a workshop, I hope you show us the students' work.

Good luck with your photo layering (I wouldn't have a clue!).

x

Su said...

What a fabulous little book, I'm sure your friend will love it :-)

Jane Housham said...

Beautiful little book. I really like the idea of the tracing paper pockets. Your friend will love it.

Jill said...

that is a beautiful book Lesley, but I can understand why you didn't want to part with your wiry tweet. Your workshop is bound to go down well, and I'm sure you'll remember.. how ... to........

Anna Mavromatis said...

I ADORE your bird sculpture and all your little treasure books! I bet your workshop will be super well attended!
Congratulations!!!

menopausalmusing said...

I have been trying to get decent photos of my book all weekend, but the sun is playing up somewhat! It's a beautiful thing and I thank you for making it for me... Keep up with the Photoshop! We went to Tyntesfield again at the weekend and I fell in love with yet another National Trust chair so have struggled trying to make a textured background that will repeat seamlessly - BUT, I will get there............... (eventually!).
I would want to keep the wire birdie too!

Patricia G said...

A lovely gift. What a collection of treasures.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Continue making your books Lesley, they are just wonderful - and the little wire bird is so sweet.

Oops I cannot seem to email you from your dashboard (a problem my end I think) so please email me and once I get your email I can send you one in reply ...!!

Jeanne
x

Fiona Dempster said...

I hope your layering in photoshop went well, and I think your book is marvellous; but oh-my-goodness that bird! What a treasure and precious piece. I couldn't have parted with it either.

Carol Rigby said...

I love your little book. You are lucky to have such lovely things in your stash. I don't blame you for wanting to keep your little bird.

Anna said...

Layering images in Photoshop sounds very advanced! Well done!! Love the little bird and the sewing book is a delight.

Annie Cholewa said...

Just found you via Jeanne.

What a gorgeous little book!!!

I've dabbled in book making myself, compulsive, isn't it :D

Sheila said...

Not surprised you couldn't give away the little birdie he is such a character.
Love the little sewing book, the tracing paper pockets are lovely.
So looking forward to the workshop with you !

Ticking Stripes said...

You are so talented Lesley. What a lovely book and lovely all that haberdashery secreted within - just gorgeous. Good luck with the layering!