After days of rain, rain and more accursed rain I was feeling a bit stir crazy but today was dry so I decided to get out for a walk to the beach. When I set off it was dull, grey and gloomy but as I neared Manorbier I suddenly saw these fabulous colours in the view as the sun started to come out. Look at those murky grey seas lit up by sudden sunlight and contrasted with the acid yellow of the oil seed rape fields and the fresh greens of new growth on the trees. There has to be a painting or something in there within all those strips and bands of colour.
I thought there would be no-one about but Manorbier beach was busy so I went up to the local church which is a favourite haunt of mine and took a few photos for some ideas I am working through.As I still had not had my walk I stopped along the coast a short distance at Penally on my way home and walked across the golf course to Tenby's South Beach where I walked along the beach to Tenby and back. My friend Vickie told me yesterday that Lonely Planet have said Tenby is THE place to go this year. Obviously nobody knows that yet because the beach was pretty deserted. The sun had not been out long enough to tempt people down there but that was fine with me as I had a bag with me and decided to collect some things to draw later. I now have a (pungent smelling) bucketful of crabs, mermaids purses, shells and seaweeds etc out in the garage to pick from.
The sea potatoes or heart urchins were a lovely find. They are not often found on that beach so I am pleased with them. Sadly, I was messing about in Photoshop with the photo to add texture and lost the original but I think I shall have a go at trying to introduce their shapes or patterns into a print. For those of us in the UK, this has been a dire month so far weatherwise but I hear it is about to improve. I hope so because getting out in the fresh air with a fair wind behind you certainly lifts your spirits and I feel quite energised by today's walk. My husband is on holiday next week so we are planning a holiday here in Pembrokeshire, thinking about going to places that are familiar and trying to see them with new eyes or going to see places we rarely visit because they are on our doorstep and we take them for granted. At least if the weather fails to improve I don't have far to come home!

10 comments:
Stunning photos Lesley - I see a tapestry in those stripes of colour! Glad the weather is set fair as next Friday I am going to be in your neck of the woods for a very brief visit. I love the Preselis whatever the wether but it's even better in the sunshine.
I like your photo of sea potatoes I have never seen or heard of them before. It's amazing what you can find, only I'm a bit squemish so I would have photographed those wonderful finds on the beach instead of bringing them home.
Beautiful photos Lesley, what a wonderful part of the country you live in.Those contrasts of yellow/greens and the sea and sky are inspirational. I did manage to get the sound of the sea in my ears briefly between the downpours on the IOW. Do you know Milly's Drawing from Nature blog - she does beautiful drawings of her beach finds? You can find her link on my side bar.
Love your prayer flags - you've put your dyeing to good use.
Such very beautiful photos -- they make me nostalgic for Pembrokeshire. And marvellous finds to draw.
That third photo looks almost as though its already been translated into a felted and stitched piece. The landscape clearly inspired you, lets hope there's some more regular sunshine on the way.
Beautiful photographs - as you say, surely there's a painting in them!
The colours of those crab shells are gorgeous.
A few dry days would be rather lovely wouldn't it?! I'll keep my fingers crossed :o)
Lovely photos of the countryside, but it's your beach findings that I love the most here, particularly the crabs and urchins. Such lovely things for you to draw.
Your post reminded me of this that I saw whilst researching for the Postman's Knock postcards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwVBNFf45IA
I would love to stitch the colours in those landscapes - such beautiful photos. Have a lovely week exploring Pembrokeshire.
Manorbier looks wonderful Lesley and funnily enough Tenby keeps popping into my mind lately.
Love your seaside finds. The photo of the sea potatoes (gorgeous name!) is quite stunning.
Enjoy your holiday in Pembrokeshire, I really hope the sun shines for you.
Jeanne
x
PS Your prayer flags are great - and now I have 'big garden' envy:D x
Leslie, these photographs are all gorgeou! I agree, the coastal scene demands to be painted! Would love to see your drawings of the beach finds. Best . . .
Post a Comment