Sunday, 16 December 2012

Glass Act

 When I went to a John Piper exhibition in St Davids recently I bought a DVD of his work which reminded me about the volume of stained glass work he designed, most notably Coventry Cathedral and Oundle School. I've written before about the interest I have in the iconography of churches and churchyards so it will be no surprise that when we went to the Made by Hand exhibition in Newport a few weeks ago and saw the work of architectural stained glass artist Christian Ryan that my interest was piqued further. So much so that my Christmas present this year was a stained glass taster day with Christian yesterday. Have a look at Christian's panels and other work, especially his blog, via the link. I love the graphic nature of them and they are beautiful to see with light streaming through them.It was a 'full on' day with three others and we each completed an A4 size panel using the most beautiful glass in all shades and textures. I kept mine simple but I adore the colours of it and will treasure it especially as I managed a day of cutting glass and using a soldering iron without fatal injury! A new passion has been born.....



7 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

That's absolutely stunning Lesley. I love it.

Gina said...

That is so beautiful Lesley. I'm not surprised that it has started a new passion!

Patricia G said...

Wonderful! The variety of patterning in the glass and your simple composition and colours really show off the beauty of the materials.

menopausalmusing said...

When did you sneak this post in????

Absolutely stunning colours. You clever thing you........

Fiona Dempster said...

On my third visit I manage words. I read along and thought this was an example of Christian's work and thought yes I like him and I'll definitely go and check his blog - where I find he's telling me this is yours! Wow - what a great result from a taster day! I can see you going places with this - its amazing! Enjoy the new passion and pursue it headlong...your colour connections and composition are so strong.

steph said...

A beautiful and elegant design Lesley. I truly admire anyone who can cut glass! I look forward to seeing more.

Chrissie said...

Thought you were showing us a piece by Christian. But it's yours and it's truly amazing, in fact very moving somehow. Where's this new venture going, I wonder?! What a lovely Christmas present.