Sunday, 2 December 2012

Upcycling? Maybe not....

The recent installation of a new heating system has caused lots of upheaval. The necessary subsequent tidy up led to a major clearing out, leaving us with a few empty storage boxes. I was about to send them to the recycling bin when I thought 'surely I can make something from that?'  I seem incapable of knowing when something really should be thrown away and thought I'd make one of my annual recycled Christmas decorations.....
 The idea seemed sound when it was in my head but it hasn't quite translated into a finished product. I think there is a good idea in there but the scale is wrong. I won't be making another however because once it was completed I decided to get on with my Christmas cards. Ideas have been in short supply this year so as a warm up exercise I set myself the challenge of making them with things to hand in my little office.....slide mounts, old books and a big box of old stamps I was given last year were within reach and pressed into service. I quite like them and they've got me in the festive mood to make some more. I've started to see other festive posts creep in elsewhere and shall look forward to seeing what everyone else is up to creatively!



10 comments:

Jo's World said...

I love your very creative cardboard tree! When I first looked at it, I thought if you had any little toddlers in for Christmas, you could make a dandy little throne out of it, Or a barn where they could play with plastic horses, cows, etc. Going to paint your tree? Spray it white, do it up with some ribbons and balls, photos, whatever. Fun and beautiful!

Jo

Patricia G said...

Sounds like a good creative session to me. I quite like you cardboard tree. I feel inspired to "get my finger out" - as they say. Thank you for sharing.

Gina said...

I'm with you on the cardboard tree... something not quite right... but your cards are quite stunning. Love them!

Caroline said...

I love your tree! I am going to have a go. and the cards are fantastic!

menopausalmusing said...

Well, I like the tree, no mistaking what it is (which is always a good thing!). Your cards with stamps are a veritable triumph Missus!

Celia Hart said...

The tree has potential... in fact it's more to my taste than the cards - which are very beautifully executed but the collagy busyness is just not me.

Must get my cards 'done' this week (or decide to buy some / make alternative arrangements)

Celia x

Marigold Jam said...

What a lovely idea - I love it as it is but if you think there is something not quite right might the branches look better if not angled upwards? Though then if sloping downwards they might fall out of their slots!! I'd definitely paint or spray it and decorate the branches anyway it's much too nice to not use it. Your cards are fabulous - especially like the ones backed with pages from Twelfth Night! Lucky recipients I'd say.

Jill said...

This is the first time for a many years that we have not made our own cards. Love yours, what a brilliant couple of ideas. Not sure about the tree - I think it's looking quite wistfully out of the window and it wants to flap its little branches and join the greenery outside.

Sue Brown said...

I love your stamp ideas, I seem to remember a wreath made from stamps several seasons ago. The tree is inspire, it would be good in enamel don't you think? Call me obsessed!!

Chrissie said...

Well, get you, making fancy things out of cardboard boxes! I love the tree, but as everyone else had given a considered opinion, I looked at it with a more critical eye - what about slicing off the spearhead bits on the end of the branches to make them a bit smaller? Have you got a 'spare' branch to try it out on?
The Christmas cards are beauties!