Saturday, 8 December 2012

Life's a circus

 It's nearly a year ago that I posted here about a book saved for me by a lady in the local charity shop.Although I go in there regularly, she and I must have missed each other until yesterday when she produced a book she'd been keeping for me for a while. She doesn't know that I'm interested in  particular illustrators but she must have a keen sense of the type of work that appeals to me. The last book she gave me was Brian Wildsmith's 'The Circus' and my latest lucky find is 'The Wasteland Circus' illustrated by Charles Keeping. Perhaps she thinks I just like circuses ? In so much as I love the image of circus horses that is true. Look at these two wonderful spotted chaps.I think they are magnificent. My photos may not do justice to what is a fabulous book but I have others by Charles Keeping and he is worth a detailed look. If you want to see more, dive in here.




8 comments:

Clive Hicks-Jenkins said...

These images nailed me to the spot, particularly the top one. Utterly beautiful and brimming with insight and compassion. How wonderful that the lady in your charity shop has an eye for what you'll appreciate.

Joanna said...

Absolutely AMAZING illustrations. Your friend in the charity shop gave this book to the perfect recipient.

x

Fiona Dempster said...

What a darling book - and don't you love that you haven't seen her for nearly a year and yet it all comes together so beautifully. Ahh, the world is a wonderful place.

menopausalmusing said...

I did dive in......... what a feast for the eyes those apples were...

What a lovely book your charity shop lady has found you, you lucky thing!

Gina said...

What fabulous illustrations and how lovely that the charity shop lady thought of you when she found the book.

steph said...

I love Brian Wildsmith and Charles Keeping's work Lesley. Do you have 'Richard' by the latter, it's in a bolder style but is so inspiring; a lot of it is done using felt pen I believe. It's about a police horse.
I have The Cherry Tree and Professor Noah's Spaceship by BW, you have made me want to collect more. I also like John Burningham, but have none of his books; his work is so free and expressive.

Anonymous said...

Hi! My Mum (Steph) told me about your lovely blog, I am now following it :)

What wonderful illustrations! I especially like the top one with the two spotted fellows. I definitely recommend a look at the book 'Richard' if you've not seen it, it's wonderful and seems to be quite an unusual style of illustration.

The Brian Wildsmith illustrations in the other post are also brilliant. I have a few illustrated children's books and you've made me want to collect more now too!

Anna said...

What beautiful illustrations, love the rainbow colours, didn't know of Keeping but have always enjoyed Brian Wildsmith's work. Very useful to have someone in a charity shop keeping their eyes open for you.