When I was in town this morning I bumped into a local farmer I know. He was getting something repaired on his tractor at the tyre depot and was telling me he needed it done urgently so that he could get on with sileage today before the rain came. As I'd just listened to the announcer on the car radio telling me today was going to be the hottest day of the year I sort of scoffed and asked if he was joking. Watching the TV weather tonight has proved him right. We are apparently in for heavy rain and possible thunder tomorrow. I can't get my head around how the weather can be so changeable after the soaring heat today.
Plans to run a moth trap tonight have been shelved but a quick walk around the garden this evening on rabbit patrol has been glorious. There are bees in abundance out there and deep inside some flowers there is evidence of pollen dust collected and scattered everywhere. My poppies look beautiful even though they are besieged by cuckoo spit. I even caught sight of a Broad Bodied Chaser and he stayed still long enough for me to capture him over and over again. I thought he might be newly emerged and still waiting to develop that characteristic cobalt blue body but a closer look at his wings show him to be a bit ragged around the edges. A beautiful creature nonetheless.
I've been doing some cyanotypes this afternoon with some wild flower images, part of a new project I'm looking at. It has been such a fabulous day full of intense colour but it sounds like batten down the hatches again for tomorrow. Roll on Friday.
3 comments:
We too have commented on the abundance of bees. We have stood and just listened sometimes...... Wasn't it hot yesterday? I was cleaning at a farm and the farmer said enjoy the sun as he had heard it would be torrential today. How right he was too! Funnily enough, I was photographing cuckoo spit before I went to work yesterday.
Great shot of the dragonfly. Hope the bunnies are behaving. We are forever scanning the horizon for deer.
These farmers know what they're talking about! (I'm from a farming family!)
The rain has just stopped falling and all is quiet and calm in my world.
Beautiful photographs,look forward to seeing your new work. After a cold morning the sun came out this afternoon and my grandson, a friend and I played in the garden and had a picnic - how wonderful to feel some warmth at last!
Post a Comment