Sunday, 30 June 2013

Things with wings

 I feel I could write a post starting with the words 'What a strange time of year it has been...' and just keep changing the date on it annually as every season and every year is different these days. At last we are seeing fledgelings, mainly blackbirds and song thrushes, and,  for the first time yesterday, this young robin. Other young things are conspicuous by their absence but I am hopeful for baby swallows soon! Last year the swallows here did not breed. This year, despite returning at least a month later than usual, they are thriving and there is a huge amount of activity in the air. They look strong and are dive bombing any other bird that goes near their nesting site in our small pig cott. Whilst I was admiring a butterfly the other day one of the swallows swooped and caught it before my very eyes. I've never seen that before and it was amazing - obviously not for the butterfly, but that is the cycle of life and they're all in the food chain somewhere.

Things are also improving for moths nationwide, albeit marginally. Numbers are well down but traps this week have brought some beautiful moths to the garden. I thought you may like to see a selection. Last night's trap yielded about 100 moths, all resting quietly now until we release them this evening.
 Lobster Moth
 Swallow Prominent
 Burnished Brass
 .... a very tarnished Burnished Brass who's been through the wars!
 Small Magpie
 White Ermine
Buff Ermine

8 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Fabulous photos Lesley! You could take up nature photography as your day job no problem. Everything is out of kilter this year isn't it?

Gina said...

Wow! I never knew there were so many beautiful moths. Their markings are fabulous.

Fiona Dempster said...

What a glorious array of moths Lesley - it has made me look more closely around here! I just came across an interesting (albeit dead) one this afternoon which made me think of you. I agree wholeheartedly with your statement about "what a strange time of year it has been..". We are usually cold but sunny in winter and are having wet and wild windy days, and yet the nectarines have set fruit already! Madness abounds...

Jill said...

Great moth captures - digitally of course, I know they're waiting for release. At least we know that are strange weather is official and not us just thinking summers (winters, spring or autumn) didn't used to be like this. although everything is late, everything seems very lush and profuse. When driving down to Southampton last week, the motorway verges seemed to be full of flowers. However our bird visitors seem very sparse. We have a thriving colony of sparrows, although a dozen is the most we'll see, but the tit numbers are certainly down. The numbers do drop after babies have fledged, but I'm sure I usually see more. I haven't seen a coal tit for months and rarely a great tit. Looking back at my records with BTO we used to get these regularly in June. Lets hope their numbers pick up. Keep up the good work.

Frances said...

Your little robin is adorable, but those moth photographs are really exquisite. Wow! Nature is rather hard to beat when it comes to visual splendor.

Best wishes.

Jee said...

Super photos, Lesley. We've quite a collection of young birds coming to feeders now - including goldfinch, but haven't seen many butterflies or moths. We do have a good few bees though, which is heartening.

Sophie Munns said...

Beautiful moths ... love the wonderfully subtle colourings and intricate patterns Lesley! So glad to pop over and see what you've been up to. Loved the bee prints too!

Anna said...

Dear little robin and such beautiful moths. My 3 year old grandson Barney is keeping caterpillars they foung in the garden (he loves snails etc.)and they are emerging as Lobster moths - the only one of yours I recognised!