Sunday, 7 July 2013

Summer time... and the living is easy

 For the first time this year it really feels like summer. It's warm enough to eat meals  sat outside. The swallows have finally managed after a couple of fallow years to brood six babies who flew for the first time yesterday and sat on the overhead wires twittering as we ate our breakfast in the sunshine. They are not flying too well yet but it looks like being a good year for them.

Our neighbour Trevor tells us it is set fair now until the end of August. I believe him as he always knows when to cut his fields. He cut the field next door a few days ago and turned it yesterday and he always gets it right so I'm planning my summer trips based on this assumption. Trevor is also the church warden and we went up to a concert at the church on Thursday night by local group La Volta. They play early and medieval music on traditional instruments and as the church was originally built in 1390 it seemed absolutely appropriate. Everyone in the village seemed to turn out and it was lovely to see it full. We are not churchgoers but I love churches and churchyards and I felt a real sense of community sitting there toe tapping to a Tudor jig!

I'm waiting for a pack from Plantlife , after seeing a piece on Springwatch, to monitor the wild flowers in my area but I've already started my own project with them too. Walking back from the church, I was taken with the number of white and creamy flowers in the hedgerow. Lots of elderflowers,  stitchwort, cow parsley, dog roses and honeysuckle everywhere. White flowers at dusk give off a luminous glow and in the warm night air the smell was lovely. A perfect summer evening to match perfect summer days. Let's hope it continues.






5 comments:

Gina said...

I like the idea that it is set fair to the end of August!

Marigold Jam said...

I do hope your neighbour is right - after last year's dismal summer some more of this would be more than welcome! Lovely way to spend an evening by the sound of it.

Fiona Dempster said...

The days sound blissful - I hope Trevor stays on song and you have summer days till August. Go well..

Celia Hart said...

I have my Plantlife survey forms and my route is planned - I didn't know it was mentioned on Springwatch. I tried to do o e of the surveys a few year's ago but my allocated area needed permission from the local estate (mega land-owner!) and they refused, even after they received the Plantlife literature endorsed by Prince Charles, etc.
This time it's so much easier, I can do a linear route along some public footpaths :-)
Have fun with yours
Celia x

Anna said...

I was in London today and struck by so many people sitting outside cafes and restaurants, relaxing and enjoying the sunshine, long may it last. We sat and ate outside (at a shady table)and watched the world go by. Lovely photos, your church looks very interesting. Have fun with the plant survey.