Sunday, 15 March 2009
March Moths
At this time of year the number of moths coming to light begin to increase. As it was a sharp, clear night last night we put out our trap but only caught about a dozen. These two are very commonly found now and have wonderful patterns when looked at closely. My camera seems to be giving up the ghost and I'm not getting the clear pictures I used to but it has still caught the subltleties and shading that I find so wonderful. I love pattern and symmetry and these two beauties are even more evidence for me of the inspiration that textile designers could get from moths.
I am as fascinated by their names as I am by their markings. A lot were apparently named by the Victorian clergy as they used to trap,catch and display them but I cannot find any written evidence to support this. The names might be a clue though - above is the Common Quaker and below, the Hebrew Character. Both sound like they were named by a God fearing man. I wonder. I really would love to know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment