Monday, 25 May 2009

All in a day's work

Isn't it amazing how a change in the weather suddenly makes us feel more 'with it'. I am definitely spurred on by increased light and warmth although I wish I could be more focussed. My brain fizzes with too many ideas and I find I'm working on lots of disparate things instead of concentrating on the bigger picture. Still, I've always been like it so making the change won't come easy! Yesterday I finished a couple of outstanding things that were floating around on my mental 'to do' list and I finally made the book with old collagraph plate covers.

I decided to do this a couple of weeks ago after my printing workshop. Sue used old prints as the text pages and a Japanese stab binding but as I was already thinking about something else whilst doing mine I cut my pages the same size as the two plates and then realised I could not use them for this particular binding process. See? Focus required! So, on to Plan B and the only other option - a coptic stitch binding.

First thing, I cut my signatures and added sections of old prints to reinforce the spines.


I used a contrasting thread and a single needle. As always, a tricky process but effective and.....

...at last I have a finished book. I'm going to use it as a sketchbook for ideas/thoughts towards the project work with my friends. It will help me focus ..... won't it?



No comments: