Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Bright, bright,bright


Being a disloyal shopper I will go anywhere for my weekly shop and whilst in a local Asda the other day I saw a bag for a fiver in exactly the shape and style above. It even had a magnetic catch and must sadly have been made in a third world sweatshop to enable them to sell it so cheaply and still make a profit. So, I decided to see if I could make one for the same price. (Why not? It's not as if I don't have any other projects in the pipeline to occupy my time....)
The fabric for the handles and lining were free as they were given to me and the outer fabric was taken from some fabric I bought at Ikea recently. Not everyone's colour I'm sure but I am a pushover for anything with birds on and I had to have some of it. I have used about half a metre (£2.00). I think I bought the buttons in Hay on Wye a long time ago. I doubt they were cheap but no more than about £1.50 each so I reckon I have made the bag for the same price. I left out the magnetic catch and substituted the buttons for decoration as detailed below.
Now the only question is 'Do I use it myself?' or give it as a gift to someone with a good strong pair of sunglasses?

1 comment:

Sue Brown said...

Love the bag Lesley, the fabric is fab, but then we all know how I feel about bird images!!