Saturday, 30 May 2009

Workshop Beauties

Today, we went to a Moth Recorder's workshop organised by Butterfly Conservation. It was held in a village about 20 miles away and we had a wonderful day. We started by looking at a couple of traps that had been set out last night nearby. Great things were not expected as numbers were low but we were delighted with the variety of species in them.

Although I have found much to recommend in many types of moth, if I had a favourite it would be the Privet Hawkmoth pictured here. I have never embraced the concept of 'less is more' and whilst the chaps are keen on the smaller micro moths, give me full blown, in your face, over the top, every time. This moth is almost the size of a small bird, evidenced by the small Pale Prominent beside it in the egg box. I love that combination of brown and pink stripes and shall be hoping we see a few more over the next few weeks in our trap at home.


One moth we have never seen before is the Eyed Hawkmoth, seen here on Janet's sleeve. It is more common north of the county than in the area we live. What a shame. Not only was it stunning to see at rest, it was even better when it was placed on a tree trunk to prepare itself for flight.

All moths warm up by vibrating their wings to bring their body temperature back from the torpor of the day 'at rest'. Having one on your hand doing this before take off is a real privilege. This beauty was doing exactly that as I tried to photograph it, hence the very shaky look of my photo. I tried to get a shot of its beautiful blue and pink eyes on its hindwings but only managed a tantalising glimpse. Too bad. Doesn't it make you want to see more of these lovely things?



No comments: