Saturday, 23 May 2009

Creative Kates

Looking out of my window today I realised I have just missed the fledging of our blue tit family but I have seen newly fledged magpies strutting their stuff - as well as two young jays soaking up the sun in the garden. The feathers on the tops of their heads have still not formed completely so they were a trifle bald! In contrast it made their eyes look enormous, but I can forgive anything when I catch a glimpse of that stunning azure blue and black colour to their wing feathers. It made me think of all things avian and it reminded me about the 'avian' work of two artists, both called Kate.

This sculpture is called 'Bird in the Hand' and it is a bit surreal for me, yet it strangely appeals. It is by an artist called Kate Street. Have a look at more work here.



Similarly, Kate McGwire is also working some of her pieces with an avian twist. These are pigeon feathers and I am in awe of the ingenuity and patience involved in creating these works. See more here.











No comments: