Friday, 10 July 2009

Archie

On Wednesday afternoon I went with my friend Vickie to demonstrate at a local craft festival in the church at Manorbier. This is a beautiful village complete with a great surfing beach, castle and lovely Norman church. It's very popular with visitors and every year the ladies of the village organise their flower and craft festival to raise much needed funds for the church's ongoing restoration. Our Guild of Weavers, Spinners & Dyers always put an exhibit together and we take our turn to demonstrate something that might interest people.

Whilst my friend Vickie was spinning cashmere I decided to needlefelt something. These are the raw materials - a bit of carded wool, a sharp barbed needle and some foam - in case you stick the needle in your thigh.... not recommended! As always I seem to attract the younger crowd who are forever keen to know what you're making. I had the company of four lovely kids from San Diego - Jack, Bella, Cameron and Jessie , all giving advice on what sort of creature I should make.
As these things always take longer than you think my loyal young fans did not see the end result. I finally finished him over breakfast and I shall call him Archie. Actually, I always call them Archie and he's about number seven or eight in a long line of Archies. Every time I finish someone wants him and I happily send Archie off to pastures new. Perhaps this one might actually stay with me!


No comments: