Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Works in progress... sort of

I am flitting about from idea to idea as usual and getting nowhere fast. Here's a print I took from one of the small collagraph plates I've been making. I discussed it with Sue, my printmaking mentor and I think I was using watercolour paper instead of printmaking paper, hence the press not making an impression in the middle of the print. I keep trying to have another go but I get sidetracked by other thoughts.


First up is this piece of fabric that I keep dyeing, overprinting and bleaching into. It looks better in the flesh, but in truth I am just daubing a bit here and there every time I go into the workshop. Whatever happened to having a plan?

These pieces below started in the same way. It was one piece of fabric that I dyed and painted and then cut in half on a whim. Now I've had a really good idea of what to do next and guess what - it would have worked better if I hadn't cut it in half!
I'm going to use it as a background to a piece about the migration of swallows. Very fitting given my obsession with them. I intend to draw a compass point on the fabric and overprint with swallows and other things. It works in my head. Let's hope it works on the fabric....


Finally, I was given some fabric remnants the other day which I just sewed together thinking I could make a small bag or something. Then the urge took me to practice my machine embroidery skills - non-existent despite a course recently! My scale is a bit off and I forgot about taking the pressure off the foot so it wrinkled up. My apple is a bit wonky and I forgot to give the serpent some eyes but it's not too bad for a first attempt ( as long as you don't look too closely...)





No comments: