Friday, 3 July 2009

Chasing the Scarlet Tiger

People are often surprised to learn that there are a fair number of moth species that are active by day and they are often as brightly coloured and beautifully patterned as many butterflies.

While I was on the phone to my Mum today this brightly coloured jewel flew past the window so I told her I'd call her back and threw the phone down, grabbed the camera and chased outside. This moth is a Scarlet Tiger, active around June to July and only the second one I have ever seen. It worked it's way down into one of my plants as if it was hiding but I managed to photograph it as it emerged. It's been through the wars a bit - not surprising as it has already used up half of it's allotted lifetime. What a treat.


Earlier today we had another visit from the young woodpecker. All juveniles have a red cap and this will disappear as they mature. I think his eyes look wary and give his youth away. He's a nervous feeder and is knocking six bells out of my tree trying to get the rhythm right once he's found a nut and tries to eat it! The photo, through my double glazing, is not great but if I tried to get up close he'd be long gone.

In fact, while I was looking at the woodpecker I noticed the bird food was depleted and needed refilling. As I went out to do that something bright caught my eye and I saw this crab spider on one of the plants by the back door. Again, this is something I've never seen before. I saw it on Springwatch a few weeks ago - otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue what it is.
I have to take photos of all these things to share with my husband when he comes home from work. He'll be disappointed to have missed the Tiger. Perhaps, if the weather holds, we can run a moth trap tonight and see one of it's family, the Garden Tiger. Now, that really would be a treat!




1 comment:

Sue Brown said...

A bit of a red, white and black thing going on here! We get Scarlet Tiger moths in our garden, I get so little wild life that I get disproportionatly excited when I see some!!