Friday, 20 August 2010

100 Years of driving lessons

The other day I read that driving lessons celebrate their centenary this year. They were started by an enterprising chap from his garage in London who went on to set up the British School of Motoring. In those days it took four days to learn how to drive a car, significantly different to the process today eh?
The driving test though didn't come into being until 1935 so it is also celebrating a special birthday this year, being 75 years old! Since its inception there have been 46 million tests taken but it was a voluntary exercise when it began in March 1935 becoming compulsory by June of that year when anyone who bought a car had to display L plates and take the test.
These plates date from 1953, the year I was born (don't bother with the arithmetic, I'll save you the trouble. I am 56 going on 30!) and I started taking lessons quite late, when I was 21. I remember my Dad offering to supplement the 'paid for' driving school lessons with a few with him but they stopped after the night he refused to drive with me again. All I did was drive quickly through a narrow gap between two cars. He took exception to the fact that I closed my eyes at the same time and refused to accompany me again. So, no surprise then that I failed my first test abysmally.
I went abroad to work shortly after so didn't try driving again for a couple of years. When I did, it only took six lessons before I took my test. I remember it being very short and my instructor feared the worst when he saw me driving back into the test centre. He'd hardly had time for a cup of tea, but he expected me to pass and I did! Dad had overcome his nerves by then and the first thing he did was buy me a car to get me on the road. It was an old Vauxhall Viva and the first time I tried to adjust the seat I found it was resting on a milk crate so I didn't try that again.
Ever since then I've loved the independence and freedom driving has given me but I do wonder how I'd fare if I took a test under today's conditions. I'd like to think I'd pass but we do pick up bad habits don't we over the years? At least these days I keep my eyes open at all times, so if I ever offer you a lift, don't panic, it will be fine!

7 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Another interesting post Lesley - hadn't realised it was 100 years since driving lessons began - imagine how simple it would have been back then with no other traffic about to get in the way! On the other hand I dare say you had to crank the engine to get started so maybe it wasn't all beer and skittles back then!! I like you would miss the independence of being able to drive and am often surprised at how many women can't/don't drive and let their husbands/partners do it all - comes the day they can't and the women are well and truly stuck.

Jane x

Dan said...

Hi Lesley
Love the milk crate under the seat!
I haven't had a situation where I've had to shut my eyes for quite a long time.
I didn't realise that the driving test was so old! I don't know if I would pass now either, though I remember my lessons very fondly - my driving instructor definitely didn't take life too seriously.
Dan
-x-

Gina said...

Fascinating stuff! It took me three attempts to pass. Most memorable was my second test when the examiner said to turn right at the next turning, so I signalled and promptly turned the wrong way into a one way street! He hadn't meant that particular street. Personally I thought it was his fault but I still failed!

Jill said...

Lesley, you have a real talent for winkling out a fascinating fact or two. When I was learning to drive my dad would only sit in the middle of the back seat, luckily my mum had more faith in my abilities!!

menopausalmusing said...

Tried to leave a message yesterday, but to no avail. I left learning till too late I think.... was fourty when I passed at my third attempt. I shall never enjoy it and drive only within my comfort zone. Keep telling myself to "get a grip" on it all.

Roared with laughter at driving with your eyes closed. I assume you have grown out of doing that now....? :O))))

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Four days!! How times have changed Lesley. I learned to drive in London when I was in my 20s and I honestly don't think I would pass a driving test now! Having said that the roads are pretty quiet out here but I avoid going on the A14 if at all possible - I've never liked motorway driving.

Jeanne
x

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Very interesting facts about learning to drive! I hope that I will be able to get my provisional licence when I am 17! I can't wait!!
Lucy xxxxx