Saturday, 14 August 2010

Monochromatic moths


Just a few images from the moth trap we had last night. At last we've had a few dry nights here in Pembrokeshire and it was quite mild so the conditions were perfect. There were about half a dozen of these Magpie moths . They are really common at this time of year.


Resting on the wall of my shed is this beautiful Black Arches. Again, it's common at this time of the year and we had three or four dotted around and in the trap. I love their feathered antennae. Such elegant creatures and, in my eyes at least, quite beautiful.



7 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Stunning Lesley! Isn't Nature wonderful?

Sue Brown said...

I love the furry trousers they wear. XXX

menopausalmusing said...

Absolutely STUNNING! Aren't they wonderful little creatures?

Anna Mavromatis said...

I am amazed with their inky patterns and those feather antennae...
incredible! Thank you for sharing them!

Reading Tea Leaves said...

They really are the most beautiful creatures Lesley.

I hope your summer cold has abated, along with the rain! I like the thought of an Indian Summer. We have had several days of rain which has thankfully filled the water butt and today the sun has come out again - yay! Hope its shining for you.

Jeanne
x

Cheryl said...

Beautiful Lesley.......tku for sharing.
I love the black white combination......

Sometimes I wander the garden at dusk to watch the moths feeding on the red campion. I can never see them clearly but it is lovely to watch their little wings beating as they feed.
The bats were feeding along that border last night.......

Beautiful post......lovely creatures.

Jill said...

I'm familiar with the Magpie Moth, but the Black Arches is new to me, wouldn't it make a wonderful tapestry pattern?