Tuesday, 17 August 2010

Paper engineers par excellence

I caught something on the television the other night. It was a piece about the large numbers of wasps we are seeing this summer. Someone asked the question 'Why do wasps exist?' The answer? 'To make more wasps'. No matter what you think of them you do have to wonder at their ability to make more wasps. As nest builders they can't have many equals.



Last week I visited somewhere that had a wasp nest that had been treated by pest control people. They didn't like to look at it or touch it so I offered to cut it down for them if I could keep it in return. (I know, sad!) Whilst they took refuge yards away I tried my best to prise it cleanly off the beam it had been built on, using a sharp knife. They were subsequently amazed at the way this structure had been made. When I said the wasps gnaw at wood and then chew it up to make paper to do this there was a look of sheer disbelief on their faces. But of course, that's exactly what happens. Look at the fine intricate papery layers that the wasps have woven around the brood cone.


The cone inside where the brood are kept is a marvel of paper engineering and precision. I cannot even draw a decent hexagon with a ruler yet the wasp makes this perfect cell time after time without fail. Just wonderful..... yet I admit to being as wary of the live ones as the next man. In our own garden this summer we have had two instances of them. Firstly my husband found a dead mole a few weeks ago at the top of the garden. Next he noticed wasps going in and out of the vacant mole run and building a nest in there. We don't know how the mole died but the wasps were there in huge numbers and the nest was not a million miles away from the bee hives. Now, wasps love honey and all things sweet and will kill bees so my husband wanted to protect his bees at all cost. Sadly readers, he took pest control action and the nest is no more.

Then I noticed that our bat box, which is on our garage and hidden by the undergrowth, was sprouting something familiar. A quick look activated a huge amount of wasps and I ran for it trying to remember my Mum's little mnemonic for treating stings. Chanting over and over 'winegar for wasps and beecarb for bee stings' I ran into the house and called for my knight in shining armour to deal with it. Well, this nest has also gone the way of the other. I feel cruel because I admire their building skills but I cannot own up to liking them too close to me!
PS: Don't worry about the bat. Our solitary bat is still living under our fascia board despite the offer of the des res we put up for him. I went out early yesterday as he came home from his nightly travels. He always has to make about 6 or 7 attempts to get back under cover so although he's not much of a flyer at least he had the sense to give the bat box a wide berth!



7 comments:

menopausalmusing said...

Great post. We had wasps start to make a nest in our log shed this summer. Luckily I found it whilst it was still tiny..... The "paper" constructions have to be marvelled at though, don't they?

Sue said...

They really are amazing things wasps nests, I wonder how long they take to build?

Marigold Jam said...

Brilliant Lesley - isn't it amazing how such small creatures with no engineering training can build a home so perfect?

Jane

Jill said...

Well done Lesley for sharing this. I believe wasps are gardeners' friends early in the season when they will take small caterpillars to feed their brood, but at this time of year they are just a pest especially as the fruit ripens. As they are all doomed to die in the autumn destroying a nest isn't such an ecological disaster and I don't think they will ever become an endangered species!!
I remember being shown an active hornets' nest in the projector room at the swannery at Abbotsbury. The wardens were working happily alongside the hornets, but rather them than me!!

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

What a fantastic post showing the wasp nests in such detail. I think that they are wonderful engineers! It must be great to have a bat living so close to you too! Your garden sounds very interesting!
Lucy xxxxx

Anna Mavromatis said...

OH! I love this post and seeing details of the wasps' sculptured "home"... what a treat!
Thank you for offering those details; I wish I was there with you!

Dan said...

That's amazing! What a feat of wasply engineering! We had one under our dining room window last year. We didn't have pest control come, but I was very glad that they decided not to nest anywhere nearby this year!
Dan
-x-