Monday, 30 August 2010

Revival


Butterfly Conservation have just released the results of the Big Butterfly Count conducted at the end of July. Whilst the Cabbage White remains the most common butterfly recorded there has been a resurgance in the number of Small Tortoiseshells. Apparently this little beauty has declined in numbers by 50% in the past 30 years due to the invasion of a parasitic fly. This year though it has come in at number 9 in the top 10 butterflies recorded in people's garden during the 15 minute watch period of the survey.
At the risk of being called Pinocchio I have just counted 15 of them on a large white buddleia we have in the garden. I counted about 26 butterflies in total including the tortoiseshells. They were joined by Peacocks and Red Admirals. Elsewhere in the garden I've seen loads of Speckled Woods and Meadow Browns this year. Also in evidence, although in much smaller numbers are Small Coppers and Commas, even a Small Blue but what I have not seen at all is a Painted Lady. Given the swarms of them we enjoyed last year it struck me last week that I hadn't seen a single one at all to date this summer. Anyone else noticed the same?
If you've seen one please let me know roughly where. Perhaps they've not managed to fly this far west this year because of the wet weather. I'm intrigued by their absence and would love to know if it is widespread. I hope not. It's good news for the Small Tortoiseshell but I don't want to see one make a revival while another one disappears.


12 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely photos Lesley. I am afraid I don't know one from the other apart from the Red Admiral and the Peacock and of course the cabbage white so can't help you. Must look them up on the web.

Jane x

Cheryl said...

Hi Lesley...I did the count. Butterflies have been numerous in my garden this year but like you I have not seen one painted lady. I had hundreds (true) pass through my gardens last year.

menopausalmusing said...

Same here re the Painted Ladies..... unbelievable amounts last year and this year, NOTHING! Have seen Speckled Woods and Small Blues, also Orange Tips and Yellow Brimstones this year........ I didn't do the count though.

Chrissie said...

OK Pinocchio I believe you! Lots of cabbage whites, but it's been rather wet and I've not seen much else in the last couple of weeks.

Lyn said...

I have noticed a real lack of all butterflies this year, a few peacocks and cabbage white and one admiral, thats it!
They are so, so gorgeous too.
love
Lyn
xxx

Jill said...

No Painted Ladies here or Tortoiseshells, only a pair of Gatekeepers who seem to like the oregano. The buddliea attracts lots of Cabbage Whites and the odd Peacock. I have seen one Red Admiral and earlier in the season Brimstones. I have also seen several Holly Blues and what I think is a Common Blue, but the blues are really difficult to tell apart. But I learned this year that if it is flying high it is probably a Holly Blue as the others ususally favour meadow level flowers. ( I add my butterfly tally to my weekly BTO count, I think they share their info)

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

We have hardly seen any butterflies this summer here. The local school released 16 painted ladies that they had reared from bought-in caterpillars however, we still have not seen many - 1 or 2 over the whole of summer.
We have had a speckled wood and some cabbage whites but that is all.
Hope you are keeping well.
Lucy xxxxx

Jee said...

We've had Painted Ladies here (though not in great numbers) - but had none last year. Mostly we've had Cabbage Whites, Tortoiseshells and the odd Red Admiral, but numbers have been generally quite low.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Compared to last year, numbers have been low in general. Apart from the ubiquitous Cabbage Whites I have seen a couple of Admirals and a few Meadow Browns and what I think may have been a Small Blue. I really missed them this year.

Jeanne
x

Anna Mavromatis said...

Oh! I am so envious of you and all your friends being visited by so many butterflies! It seems you are describing a garden in some sort of a paradise set... Oh well, the photos are lovely and so are your thoughts and ecological concerns...
xox

Ticking Stripes said...

Very few round here at all this year other than the cabbage whites. (Just went back to check out the tag posts which I missed while away - they are all great fun and what a lovely thing to share!)

Gill said...

We had loads of painted ladies last year but this year I've only seen 2 - on my dahlias which they loved last year!
Gill
PS I'm in Gloucestershire