Friday, 3 September 2010

The tag end of it


Thanks to everyone who read and commented on the posts that Chrissie, Cathy and I wrote about our seaside tag project. Those that did will remember that we had to finish the project by creating a container to house them all in, something I had had sort of pushed to the back of my mind.... I had actually made a start by trying to make a large tag shaped box from scratch but when my husband told me it looked like a large coffin ...well, something did die, namely inspiration...

...and then Chrissie sent an e mail last week saying she'd made hers and how were Cathy and I doing? Well, I went into rabbit in the headlights mode and cool Cathy said she'd better her skates on too. I was lost for an idea and then remembered this little suitcase that I'd bought earlier in the year. I'd been reading about a group of book artists in Scandinavia who were creating books in a box like these and had bought one when I'd seen it in a shop that sells all sorts. It was covered in lots of 1980's style shoe pictures and needed covering . There was no question that I was going to use a map. At last, a chance to get a map into the project! I picked a map of Scotland because it was all I had but also because I wanted large expanses of sea for the base of the case. I set about covering the lid and other side with the main map, using the sea to put a strip around the sides. I gessoed the inside and painted it with acrylic paint to hide all the illustrations inside. It took a few coats but it eventually worked.

I made a mess of getting around the handles but hey, this is for me so that's fine. I cut out lots of little line drawings from an old book that has been a good friend on this project and I stuck them all around the side . The map had not stuck well on the front of the case for some reason but a judicious byline from the Guardian came to my rescue and sort of acts as camouflage. I then painted some small wooden letters that I had and stuck them on the top as an instant reminder of what treasures lie in my box. Finally I printed a hard copy of the tag posts that the three of us did, complete with comments so that when I open my box I will be able to see and read everything to do with this great project.
All three of us are posting today about our containers so go and take a look at what Chrissie and Cathy have made. As ever we have all approached it quite differently yet in the same vein. All of us are missing the creativity, the sending of parcels and the communication so we are cracking on with discussing what we shall do next and when. All of you who said you'd like to join us are duly noted. If anyone else wants to add their name please do. If not, there will be 9 of us involved in the next idea. The thoughts of what creativity that could unleash is exciting. The thoughts of what creative friendships that could forge is even more exciting. Watch this space!



6 comments:

menopausalmusing said...

A lovely box to end a lovely project! Love it........ Here's to the next one! :O))))

Marigold Jam said...

Love you little suitcase Lesley - you are all so creative and artistic I am in awe!

Jane

Jill said...

What a wonderful trio of boxes, each one reflecting their creator. You are three very talented ladies. So looking forward to joining you and hope I can bring something to the next project.

Things Hand Made said...

Did my name go in the ring to jooin in? If it didn't I meant it to!

Jee said...

A suitcase for the seaside - very suitable. I think I asked to join but if I didn't please let me!

Gina said...

Your suitcase is beautiful.I've loved seeing how all of you have tackled this so differently.