The UK has just enjoyed its warmest March on record and we are basking in wonderful Spring sunshine at present as well. When you hear records like this announced on the radio I always wonder who first started recording these things and why but there are many individuals who record the changing of the seasons in their gardens or a given territory year on year. It has made me think about the changes within my own vicinity , so when I went on my regular walk away from the house today (it is that little speck at the top of the road) I decided to take my camera and record the things I could see growing within half a mile from the house heading in one direction only. I have been noticing things in the past couple of weeks but having a camera in my hand made me really look.
...but there were also a few marbled leaves of Arum italicum to be seen, more often found in gardens, as well as......
Wild Grape hyacinth
Look at their fuzzy little shields coming into life and compare them to the tightly furled up crozier of this tough old bracken.
Look at the mass of wood anemones surrounding the road either side. They are stunning en masse like this but instead of looking down, I looked up at all the hawthorn blossom that is around. When you see the flowers up close they look just like delicate cherry blossom to me - so beautiful!
Within my half a mile walk I also saw the new spears of wild flag iris leaves, wood violets, emerging bluebells, hundreds of lesser celandines and dandelions, wild garlic and wild strawberries coming through, mare's tails, sweet woodruff, herb robert, ribbed plantain, cow parsley and giant hogweed getting ready to launch into that sudden growth spurt it does in early May. I heard the woodpecker drilling away in the distance and saw and heard a blackcap singing its beautiful heart out.
Sadly I also noticed lots of litter and will need to take a black bag out with me in the next few days. Tell me why car drivers have to throw their rubbish out of their cars as they drive up through country lanes? It is probably not just reserved for country lanes though. I think litter is a scourge anywhere these days but it won't dampen my mood. I am going to try and record my little half a mile strip every month this year and make my own record to revisit in 2012. It will be fascinating to keep my own local record of the changes of the seasons.
Regular followers will know this is something I have done for many years with regard to the return of the swallows to their nesting site in my garden. For the past four out of five years they've returned on the same calendar date and you've always come up trumps and let me know when returning swallows have been sighted around you. Well, we have nothing yet but our local paper has recorded sightings in a village about 3 miles away. I wonder if they will come earlier this year. I'd love to know what's happening in your patch too!
9 comments:
I am absolutley sure that enthusiastic amateurs have been keeping records of every sort since the written word was invented. The Rev Gilbert White is a case in point. I know you are moth recorders - so many societies rely on amateurs to collect data, and with the internet it has never been easier.
What a great idea to record your home stretch - I hope you are going to put the info in a lovely journal.
What absolutely beautiful images and words. I'm very happy to have learned the word 'crozier'.
What a wonderful spring welcoming post.
You brought so many memories of my springs in the english country side of many years ago... I can't wait to hear about the swallows' return to your garden.
Enjoy this lovely spring and keep us posted!
xox
Brilliant pictures. I love "Lords and Ladies"..... just love them. Like you, I wonder who started the records and also when I see photos like yours I wonder which was named first, the plant shape crozier or the Bishop's actual crozier that he carries in church. This of course then lead to a visit to Google Images.................. sigh......... and so it goes...............
This is a super Spring 'report' - the photos are beautiful and your commentary is really interesting.
I so totally agree with you about litter - WHO does it?! Having said that I see parents either telling their children to drop their rubbish or simply don't tell them off if they drop it. It so spoils any area - urban or countryside.
I love this post Lesley! I'm always fascinated with how hedgerows vary from region to region. I don't think I have ever seen wild strawberries here in Suffolk but we have masses of Arum and the hawthorn is incredible this year. Cow Parsley is my most favourite wildflower and I look forward to the sight of huge swathes of it in a month or two.
Look forward also to your posings on the return of the swallows.
What a wonderful time of year this is!
Jeanne
x
gorgeous spring photos, wonderful ~Fiona
What a gorgeous spring you are having, Lesley. To see that beautiful great bank of wood anemones is amazing to me - I suspect if that existed near my house the council would mow it down. I look forward to seeing your monthly reports. Carol
Hi Lesley,
Thank you for showing these lovely photographs of the early spring "beauties." I especially love the Hart's Tongue ferns. It's as if they are all nodding to each other, saying, "Well hello. Good Day. Happy Spring. And how are you?"....
Post a Comment