Monday, 12 September 2011

Snap Happy

I've just had a fabulous three days on a course organised by Aberystwyth Uni on how to use my digital camera properly for outdoor photography. There were eight of us on the course, the other seven all coming from Aberystwyth so they stayed on site at the National Trust Stackpole Estate whilst I was able to drive home every night and dry out.... It was run by professional photographer Andy Davies and he was an exacting task master - but in a good way. I now know what all the buttons and functions on my camera mean. Automatic is banished forever.... gulp! We finished yesterday with a presentation of ten of our photos and now have to do a portfolio of another ten on a common theme by the beginning of December in order to gain the credits for the course. I learned some key things, one being that 'the photo is in the camera' i.e don't go messing about with it too much in Photoshop later, get it right at the outset. All photos were taken in RAW and saved as tiffs but my connection is so poor they just won't load so these few are jpegs. They are not as sharp as my originals so I need to work out how I can upload the better versions.

As I used to work for the Trust I know the estate and the area well so when we went to an event on site on Saturday afternoon I spent more time talking to people I know rather than getting my photographs done. My friend Emma was there with Alex, a local falconer so I was lucky enough to get up close to Popeye, a European Eagle Owl. She held him while I took some photos and he was very obliging but often moved at the vital click. Curses. Must try harder.... and talk less...

I took tons of photos of windy clifftops and frothy seas, craggy rocks and wild flowers, flying herons and gliding swans..... but under scrutiny I now see what works and what doesn't. So, I need to think of a theme for my portfolio. I might continue with my Postmans Knock theme of 'Taking Flight' but I need birds and butterflies as acquiescent as Popeye to make that work perhaps?Will have to think about that but in the first instance just have to keep using the camera in the 'new' way to reinforce what I think I've learned. Wish me luck.





11 comments:

Fiona Dempster said...

Totally stunning photographs Lesley and if these have lost their edge/clarity the tiffs must be brilliant! What a very smart and sensible idea to attend a course - photography of our work is such an important thing and yet I do mostly rely on the auto setting. Eek! Would love to learn how to do it better - good luck with your portfolio.

Marigold Jam said...

FAbulous photos Lesley - that course sounds really inspiring and I am sure you will get your credits (towards what an OU degree or something?) bin Decenber. Love the feathery pic you've captured all the detail beautifully. Would love to see some of the clifftop/sea and flowery ones as well sometime.

Celia Hart said...

Beautiful photos! The feather detail is amazing - something best appreciated from a photo rather than putting your eyes up close to that beak!

I used to trundle around with my trusty Nikon SLR, but have forsaken it totally for the ease of our tiny digital camera. Yesterday I decided to upgrade - but decided that I don't really need RAW and bought one of the new 'bridge' models - now I need to find out what all the buttons do!

Have fun with your new skills!
Celia

menopausalmusing said...

Heck! It all sounds rather complicated, this photography milarky! Lovely shots of Popeye though. What a handsome boy! Looking forward to seeing more of your work and that folio.

Jill said...

So glad you enjoyed your course. Your photos of Popeye are great. I did shoot in raw when I was doing my OCA course, but the files are so large that they jammed up my computer!

Dan said...

These are fantastic Lesley! I love the first picture especially - what a handsome face!
Dan
-x-

Anna Mavromatis said...

Lesley, these are absolutely beautiful!
I am sure your portfolio will be incredible!!!
xoxox

Ticking Stripes said...

Gosh Lesley I need an interpreter! A tiff is something completely different in our house! Nevertheless your pictures are fabulous - what a wonderful opportunity. Enjoy creating your portfolio!

Chrissie said...

Just cannot imagine you talking too much.... :-))
The photos are great and what a sensible idea to find out about your camera's capabilities. I used to have an SLR and all the lenses, but now have a weeny digital and have become lazy.
Looking forward to being able to see your portfolio.
C x

Amelia said...

what AMAZING photos! I too took some photography courses earlier this year and have taken auto off my camera too - so liberating! And I spent many of my younger years in Aberystwyth as that's where my brother did his degree and Phd (we grew up in London) and my sister lived down the road - I have many very fond memories of the sea and shops there :)

Amelia.x

Joanna said...

Oh My Goodness, these photographs are STUNNING! The first one is so beautiful. Fancy knowing what all the buttons and dials do on your camera, maybe one day I'll find out too. In the meantime I'm in very average auto mode.

Looking forward to seeing the other photographs you produce.

x