Sunday, 18 September 2011

Sunny Devon

We've just had a wonderful four day break in a very sunny Devon. Despite all the forecasts to the contrary the sun shone all the time. It was a bit breezy at times but when the wind dropped it was like midsummer. Timing coincided with the end of the Devon Artists Open Studio fortnight but we only managed to see a few, crammed inbetween forays to the coast and to inland places to we wanted to revisit. Top of the list was Rosemoor, the RHS garden in North Devon which we last visited about 6 or 7 years ago. A lot has changed, making it even more of a stunning garden, if that was possible. The hot borders were zinging with coreopsis, rudbeckias, dahlias, monardas and salvias. The colours were all hot yellows and vibrant purples, rusty reds and smoky blues plus the added texture of grasses.



There were lots of butterflies around the hot borders. I made notes of all the plants I'd love to feature large in our own garden. I lost count of the times we realised we already had some of them but it was the scale at Rosemoor that made all the difference. To make the same impact I'd need to propogate our current stock to a factor of ten I think!




There is something there for every type of gardener, whether you love perennials, grasses, trees or vegetables. I loved these dribbling cones. Guess whose memory card on the camera filled up with too many photos of seedheads, unusual tree barks and colour combinations?



After the hot bed my favourite place was the vegetable garden. It was heartening to talk to one of the many volunteers there who was tidying up the beans. They'd been hit by rabbits. If the RHS can be struck by the furry marauders too it gave me hope for our little veg patch, a favourite of the local chapter of the Watership Down fan club.



If I could have had just one thing from Rosemoor it would have been this Cobea Scandens. I have tried to grow this so many times without success. I can get the seeds to germinate and start off but whenever I plant it out, it fails to thrive. I treat it as a half hardy annual but at Rosemoor it is perennial. The stems are thick and healthy and the flowers are a lustrous deep purple. If anyone out there has any tips for this please share. One day.... one day.....



We nipped off to Bude after leaving Rosemoor, leaving Devon for a swift sojourn into Cornwall for the late afternoon and evening. It was a glorious evening and we found a great place to eat outside and enjoy the scenery. I have been catching up with other blog posts this morning and read a special one from Jane which talks about those special moments that are timeless. We had one of those in Bude on this evening. Just sitting there in the warm of the evening with someone you treasure was just lovely. It felt like time was standing still. I never wanted the moment to end.


Interspersed with the sightseeing and walking were the visits to the open studio artists. My favourite was Jane Perkins who was exhibiting in a great cafe in Topsham so you could eat cake (lots of it) and drink tea (lots of it) whilst staring at her amazing work. Please visit here to see more. These images are made up of thousands of bits of plastic. Jane uses recycled materials like old beads, plastic toys, old watches etc to replicate well known faces or works of art. You had to see this 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' to believe it. All of the tones are created by choosing the right colour plastic piece. Each one takes about three weeks and I met Jane yesterday morning when we went back for a second look... and more cake... She says she loves every bit of the process from sourcing the pieces through charity shops etc to the making. Such ingenuity was inspiring.



I also found a couple of printmakers and managed to catch the opening preview of a new calligraphy exhibition at the Devon Guild of Craftsmen in Bovey Tracey. On our way home I also visited the studios of Clare Schmidt Norris and Rachel and Mary Sumner. All were inspirational in their own way and well worth a look through their portfolios.






The downside of course is that all good things come to an end. We've had a fantastic two weeks holiday but my young man has to return to the grindstone tomorrow and I am meant to be joining my foundation course. As it has already been going for two weeks I am starting late because of my holiday. All of a sudden I don't want to do it and I'm trying to remember all the reasons why I thought it was a good idea! Oh crikey, what to do?

















7 comments:

menopausalmusing said...

Breathtaking photos there, Lesley. Have you been on a course ;O)))))))?

All sounds and looks wonderful, and my, but that rendition of Girl With A Pearl Earring looks fantastic. Unfortunately, Blogger seems to have taken away the click on an image to take a closer look facility an replaced it with a slide show! Am going to check out the links to your other artists now...

Gill said...

Great pictures of Rosemoor! I'd love to visit one day! I hope someone replies re the Cobaea - mine hasn't flowered and is only a couple of feet tall

Joanna said...

Lucky you, sounds like you had a brilliant time - with the photos to prove it. The Girl With The Pearl Earring is wonderful, I'll definitely check out Jane's link later. And there was CAKE! Perfection, I'd say!

I'm sure you'll quickly settle into your foundation course, and then you'll be wondering why you wobbled at the last minute.

We like Bude too - the beach is full of those pebbles with the distinctive white line through them.

xx

Gina said...

So pleased to hear you've had such a lovely time Lesley. Of course you have to do your foundation course... which I can happily say because I'm having huge doubts about starting my MA and cannot for the life of me think why I want to do it! (I'm missing my second week)

Jane Housham said...

Definitely give the foundation course a go. I did it about four years ago and it was really great. It's such a full course, you'll have a little bit of catching up to do, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Chrissie said...

Your word verification is "gurbecle", which I think would be my response to your suggestion that you might not embark on your foundation course....

Girl with Pearl Earring is truly brilliant - how nice to be able to talk to the artist (with your mouth full of cake no doubt).

Chrissie

p.s. notice a big improvement in your photography...!!! :-))

Patricia G said...

Foundation - best time of my life! Learn all those new skills, meet inspiring people and build a great portfolio. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.
I have come to realise myself about gardening the impact of a mass of one plant rather than single specimens I tend to end up with.