Friday, 2 September 2011

Summer nights

There is a lot of talk of 'autumn' but I am in denial! Whilst I accept there is a definite nip in the air some mornings we have had a week of wonderful sunshine here by the seaside and there are still plenty of people about enjoying their holidays. The Bank Holiday was great and we went for a long beach walk into Tenby on Friday night with the promise from my husband of a meal out afterwards. Well, my hero took me for fish and chips,eaten out of the paper and we ate it overlooking Manorbier beach, watching people surfing and swimming in the early evening light. I cannot ever leave Manorbier without a trip to the church but the light was fading fast by the time I took this photo.


On Bank Holiday Monday we went down to Angle Bay.When we first moved to Pembrokeshire we lived not too far from here and it is a lovely bay for a walk around but the tide was in on this night so I suggested we explore the churchyard instead before heading home. The church itself is about 14th century with 19th century additions. Growing around the porch was a beautiful passion flower and the trunk showed it must have been there many years. There is a local family synonomous with Angle and one of the family headstones was right outside the porch. I noticed that it was covered in lilies and passion flowers so supposed there must be a link there.



As light was fading fast I decided to come back during the day and drove down there yesterday on a beautiful, sunny day. The morning service had recently finished so I was lucky enough to meet and talk to the vicar and the church warden about the church. It has a fascinating history, not surprisingly, heavily connected to the sea and its location at the farthest tip of Wales. There are two graveyards, a later one being further up the village, even though the main churchyard appears to have plenty of space in it.


In truth, that is because many of the people buried there could not afford a headstone. As you walk around the different levels of the ground make it very clear what is underfoot. Those that are there however have some wonderful symbols carved into them, many obviously connected to the sea.


Behind the main church is a small seaman's chapel built in 1447. The crypt below was used as an initial resting place for the many bodies washed up in the bay after rough seas. The 19th century burial registers list many people who were found and buried with no name marker to identify them. Indeed, there is a large clear space in the churchyard which looks empty but there are many Japanese sailors buried there after a disaster in the bay during the First World War.



Just to one side of the chapel can be seen a small group of war grave headstones. These are a mixture of casualties from both World Wars, many of them Canadian. At least they have their names to mark their resting place but it made me think of families far away who have no idea of where their loved ones are buried. I found it all quite poignant.


I seem to have visited a few churches recently. I find them fascinating rather than morbid and I am particularly interested in the iconography of the headstones, as well as the typography used and the sentiments expressed. My wandering days are nearly over though as I'm about to start a full time art and design course at a local college. I have two weeks holiday ahead of me and then my time will fly by I think. We have still not decided where to go during our holiday or where to stay but if I do anything interesting I'll let you know. Have a great weekend!













8 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

How interesting this post is. Love the designs on the gravestones. I guess we won't see so much of you once you get stuck into your course which will be a shame but hopefully you will let us know how you are doing during the holidays? How long is the course? Best wishes with the course.

Sue Brown said...

Mmmm, fish and chips out of paper by the sea, my idea of heaven, Dorset or Wales just a great night out. It's the simple pleasures in life. Together with grave stone appreciation, the perfect post for me. XX

Jill said...

Great post Lesley, fascinated with the passion flower especially as we've just bought one as a wedding present for friends. I always think of them as a modern garden introduction.
The idea of fish and chips out of the paper sitting on the sea front is my idea of bliss.
Good luck with the course - hope you have time to share!

Fiona Dempster said...

Best wishes for your course Lesley - it will be an amazing adventure, but I hope it doesn't keep you way from the blog for tooooo long! I enjoyed this one again - so many poignant moments. Enjoy the final days of freedom - we are having a mini-break at the sea for 3 days, so fish and chips for me! Yippee!

menopausalmusing said...

Yum! The very thought of fish and chips out of paper is wonderful. Lovely graveyard photos. The symbolism is so interesting isn't it?

Anna said...

Beautiful photos-as a family historian I have spent a lot of time in churchyards over the years, I love the variety of symbols on the gravestones.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Good luck with your art and design course - it sounds really fun and interesting! Love your photos especially those of the unusual headstones!
Lucy xxxxxxx

Gina said...

I find the carving on gravestones fascinating too. These are some beautiful examples.