
A sudden growth spurt when I was about nine resulted in size eight feet! Whilst it is a common size these days, in those days I was in the minority and buying shoes was a nightmare. When I needed new school shoes I had to wait for Dad, the only car driver, to come home early from work on a Friday and take me on a trawl of every shoe shop within a ten mile radius. In every shop it was the same story. The only things that came any where near me were fashionable a few decades earlier. My gran would have loved them but when you're only 12 or so, the embarassment of wearing such ugly things was tough. Those memories have lingered long and to this day I do not posess many pairs of shoes. I only ever buy black shoes and I never buy what I won't wear regularly so I can count what I own on one hand. Surprising then that one of my jobs I enjoyed the most was in a shoe shop.
During the two years of my A level studies I had a Saturday and holiday relief job in a shoe shop called Dolcis, long since disappeared from the high street, but quite fashionable in their day. I started in the summer of 1970 when the height of fashion was wearing beige or pink suede wedge sandals. Platforms were all the rage and we sold matching handbags and tights with the shoes. Pink shoes and pink tights. Only in the 1970's eh? We had a floorwalker who would welcome customers into the shop. Wearing our overalls, packets of pink tights stuffed into the pockets, we'd be hailed by her to 'Come forward, Miss Gear' to serve people and sell them as many pairs of shoes as we could. I was very good at it and enjoyed it immensely except when parties of ladies came in to buy bridesmaids shoes. Trying to find white satin shoes in the same pattern in masses of sizes was a trial. It was also the era of long black 'wet look' boots with masses of eyelets that took an age to put on. I remember the first pair of leather 'over the knee' platform boots we were sent. They were a bright cobalt blue and priced at £12.99. None of us thought we had a cat's chance in hell of selling a pair at that price! But I sold the first pair and was really chuffed. What a shame we were not paid commission. I was paid a flat rate on a Saturday of £4 and I used to blow it all that night going out dancing with a friend. We didn't call it clubbing in those days and £4 didn't go very far. The place we went to had a milk bar so we just had one glass each week and only ever had alcohol if a chap asked you to dance and then bought you a drink....
Still... back to shoes and this wonderful book currently sitting on my table. I first borrowed it from the library after hearing the author, Caroline Cox, interviewed on Woman's Hour one day a few years ago and I think the book only gets an airing each time I borrow it which is a shame because it is a fascinating read if you love shoes or just love good design. I pore over the pages of shoes from the 70's and they bring back great memories of Dolcis but it covers the whole of the 20th century in wonderful detail focussing on couture shoes.
The foreward is written by Christian Loubertain who designed these lace stilettoes. I used to wear high heels like this in my teens and twenties but doubt I could manage them now. I love the use of lace here but they are trounced in my eyes by the lace shoes, below, designed in the early years of the century by Pietro Yantorny.
Italian born Yantorny moved to Paris and set up his studio there in 1904 marketing himself with the sign: 'Yantorny: the most expensive shoes in the world'. Like a self fulfilling prophecy the interest that this sign elicited led to him becoming a celebrity and attracting the interest of the wealthy clients he wanted. He refused to work for any but the most exceptional women with the most beautiful feet - so he would have not liked the look of me then! They had to pay $3000 dollars, in advance, just to go on his client list. Imagine the value of that in today's currency.He never had more than 20 clients and it was nothing to wait for up to three years for a pair of shoes from him. To achieve the hand crafted couture fit Yantorny made his clients walk barefoot, endlessly walking up and down while he studied their bare feet. He then made plaster casts of them and up to ten trial pairs of shoes until he achieved the couture fit he demandedbear his name. The shoes above were owned by spendthrift Rita de Acosta Lydig who owned over 300 pairs of Yantorny shoes. Some of them, like these, bore his other trademark; that of using rare antique materials like this venetian gros point lace to adorn them. The more I have read about Yantorny the more fascinated I have become with what he designed and made with such consumate skill.
13 comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvaqVAFuLI
(I DEFY you to remain still while listening to this!).
I have just spent the last ten minutes reminding myself of Andy Warhol's shoe illustrations - and it is all YOUR fault. :O))))))
Great sketchbook work Lesley.
http://mosaicbahouth.com/Mosaic_shoes_boots_gallery.html
Off now. NO MORE SHOE LINKS...................
You now have me remembering how awful buying shoes was as a little girl. If I couldn't chose, then my mum would threaten to buy me "Tuf" boys' shoes...........
I too am a size 8 and have been since my teens and together with no ankles beautiful shoes look ridiculous on the end of my legs. But like you I admire the delicate creations that adorn waif like lovleys. Great project. XXX
I too have a love-hate relationship with shoes. Loved and coveted shoes in my youth and bought many pairs that crippled me. Fallen arches and wobbly ankles made high heels almost impossible. I also sold shoes as a Saturday girl in Stones Dept Store (now Debenhams) in Romford. I loved selling shoes and could spin a good yarn about how they suited madam etc. I bought my own in Dolcis or trendy 'Faith Shoes' A decent everyday pair was 59/11, but a weekend pair would be 69/11 or maybe I would save up for a special 79/11 pair (that is approx £3, £3.50 and £4) As I earned £1 for a day's work back in '67 that was a lot of saving!
PS just to add fascinating facts and love the sketchbook pages too.
What a fascinating post - I too love shoes and the Clarks sandals sent me right back to my childhood!! Love your sketchbook pages.
I love shoes but hate shoe shopping. I'd be so happy if they just materialised in my wardrobe! Love the drawings, all my school shoes were those leather sandals - usually brown.
I too remember humiliating experiences at the shoe shop, my problem is that my feet are too narrow. Do you remember the measuring gauge where blocks used to slide in from the end and then a tape could be pulled over your foot? I was always greeted with the surprised remark, 'Oh, you haven't even registered a width!' Then of cousre the Clarks made to order catalogue came out, with ghastly choices which made feet look even narrower and longer. I still, like you, approach shoe shopping with an element of trepidation, and have never developed a shoe passion as so many women seem to do. Fun to hear others shoe horror stories!
Great post Lesley. I used to have to wear "Tuf Go Girls" as a child which might as well have been boys shoes. I remember my first pair of "heels" - purple patent T bars with all of 1" heel bought when I was about 10 for a family wedding. Love your sketchbook pages.
Great post Lesley. I remember Dolcis well. Like you I had a Saturday job and worked at M&S on Oxford Street with my best friend Lynda. We would blow all our earnings in Biba on Kensington High Street and I remember splashing out on a fabulous pair of mauve suede wedges that I still dream about to this day. Whatever happened to them heaven knows, amongst travelling and moving house several times in the intervening years. Oh I wish I still had them!!
Your ideas sound great Lesley and I love your sketches.
Jeanne
x
Fascinating post! Loved it.
I too worked as a Saturday/holiday girl in Dolcis - 1981-83. We were constantly being reminded to sell 'fancies' - the polishes, sprays etc, and if we didn't sell our quota then we got the sack. I think it is from these years that I learnt to say anything to get what I wanted, hmmmmmm not good! I seemed to end up spending my meagre wages on more shoes!
My daughter has very narrow size 8 feet so also has a love/hate relationship with shoes. Thank goodness there's a little more choice than when you were young but we both grit our teeth and gird our loins when it comes to shoe buying for her. Definitely not a pleasurable experience (for either of us!).
I am amazed by those Yantorny shoes.
Lovely art journal pages.
The photo of those Clarks sandals instantly transported me back to my childhood - I can smell that leather, and my heels are blistering just at the thought of them! (I have feet that blister easily, and ALWAYS with new shoes).
xx
Lots of shared memories for me too. I'm also a size 8 (since my teens, also had to wear Clarks sandals at school (they were our 'indoor shoes', we also had to wear brown lace-up 'outdoor shoes'), and used to wear heels and platforms when I was young, that I couldn't walk ten yards in now!
Best shoe memory - on holiday in London, aged about 13, getting a pair of sandals from Chelsea Girl (I think they may only have had branches in London back then). They were white with a platform wedge sole, covered in hessian. I LOVED them.
I used to spend hours drawing platform shoes, copying the illustrations from Jackie magazine. I still quite enjoy drawing shoes...
Hope your projects go well! Look forward to seeing the results.
A brilliant post (as usual...)!
I love reading it and I love looking at your shoe sketches. Can't wait to see the accordion book with the repeated show image; I am sure it;s going to be fabulous!!!
Post a Comment