Friday, 18 November 2011

Obsessed by acronyms

In the past few weeks I have been working on lots of things, not evidenced on this blog I know, but I honestly have not been idle. So much so that I've become a bit punch drunk with all the things on my 'to do' list. Although a lot of people don't have those anymore do they? Everything now seems to be a WIP or a UFO. Well I have enough UFO's to trouble Starfleet Command so I need to get myself sorted. First up are these decorations above. I saw them in my local B&Q and realised they were made of foam - perfect rubber stamps! I have cut the flowers from them and made them into a complete stamp and the idea is to stamp them onto card, join two together sandwiching a ribbon in between and then hanging them up. I had ideas for a garland of birds etc but I then got sidetracked by other things. I don't know when a WIP becomes a UFO but it makes me feel more positive if I believe I'm going to finish my outstanding projects within the mental timescale I set myself at the outset.

On my list to finish are the toy theatre I started a few weeks ago. The first prototype did not please me so I consigned it to the bin and I am now on version 2. Next comes the cardboard cake stand that I began, papier mached, primed and then hacked about with a carving knife. It is currently languishing on the side giving me pleading looks every time I pass it. Trouble is that if I finish the cake stand I then have to make lots of cakes out of cardboard to sit on it and I'm beginning to wonder if life isn't too short..... Third up is my strongman! I went on a second automaton course the other week and this time Toby persuaded me to make one from wood. Me and power tools are not a match made in heaven but he hasn't turned out too bad if you forgive the fact that one arm looks like Popeye and the other looks half the size.


I have not finished painting him yet as I want to put his name on it and I can't decide on one. Any suggestions gratefully received. You turn the handle and he lifts the dumbells up and down, maybe not the most exciting thing on the planet but it makes me smile. I have taken a video of him in action but can't seem to upload it. Perhaps it is something best left to your imagination but I can assure you that he works a treat even though the way I've painted his hands is diabolical.

Is there anything else on the horizon? Well yes, last week I met up with my friends and one of them challenged the rest of us to make things out of our stash of materials by the start of January, so I've made some bags out of some vintage curtains I had hidden away and intend to make a few nuno felted scarves as well. One of the others also challenged us to finish some of our UFO's but enough is enough.

To top it all, I am working on a book swap with the lovely Gina of Fan my Flame. A chance remark I made in one of my comments to her, tongue in cheek, was taken up with her usual enthusiasm and I am now completing a book on the subject of lace for Gina. Along the way there have been lots of ideas, many protoypes and quite a few disasters. Not so much WIP as RIP. We are due to swap at the end of next week so you will have to wait to see what I have made for her and vice versa. Anybody else out there sitting on a UFO that really should be finished by now. Go on, make me feel better and own up. I know I'm not alone. Am I?




8 comments:

Caroline said...

I think your strongman is beautiful! I especially like his fabulous pose, the way his knees bend, his vest and his very short shorts. Have you ever looked on the circusmuseum.nl website you may find a name for him there on one of the old circus bills.

Joanna said...

LOVE the strongman, he looks so pleased with himself!

You are not alone in having a pile of WIP's/UFO's. I have so many awaiting attention, but most of them will never again see the light of day. Unless they go to plan in the first instance I usually lose interest, however much I plan to go back to them later.

x

Jill said...

WIP, UFO, haven't a clue what you're talking about - well - I know what UFO used to stand for. Will a have to google them and they will be obvious and I will feel a right twit!
Meanwhile the strong man is charming, but as for a name, my mind is a blank - Mr Wipufo is all I can think of.

Jill said...

Ha Ha - well the WIP was obvious but the UFO was harder to track down!

menopausalmusing said...

I have so many unfinished projects around that if I sat on them all and fell off, I would do myself a SERIOUS injury! Wonderful work. Would have loved a look at the cakestand and as for the strong man you should be proud of him Lesley. My mind unfortunately cannot get past alliteration for his name in a kind of 'Mazing Marvello the Moustachio'd Muscle Man.............

(Sorry!)

Kitsch and Curious said...

Hell, no, you're not alone! I recently had to gather up a whole load of small unfinished projects and put them away in a box, just to stop feeling guilty! Putting them in a box made them seem a bit more contained, so I could pretend that they're not taking over the whole house. Or should I mention the wedding memento box I made for a friend, which actually became a gift for their first anniversary?

Love the strongman!

Gina said...

I don't need to tell you that you are not alone because you know just what I'm like. Personally I'm working on a PhD (project half done)that involves lace, glue and bits of card... but it will be completed very soon!

Fiona Dempster said...

Hi Lesley - there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had I think pottering here, finishing there, progressing over this way and generally moving things along when we can. I love that muscle man - and agree with the alliteration option; and think the dove prints/stamps/decorations will be grand! Go well.