Monday, 28 November 2011

On the topic of lace - part two

Thank you for the comments on the last post. I hope you enjoy part two which is very picture heavy. The book I received from Gina is quite simply beautiful so I am going to let the pictures do the talking although it will be hard to appreciate the quality of this book unless you are lucky enough to hold it in your hand. It arrived on Friday - co-incidentally, my birthday - and it was the best 'present' I could have had. One of the key things Gina and I agreed on was the size of the book and the fact that it either had to have a closure mechanism or be self contained in some way so she has made a sturdy box covered in a satinised cotton bearing a strong lace like pattern. Inside is an A5 book covered in the same fabric folded in a blizzard book style. In each of the compartments there rests a sample card of different lace patterns like Point de Gaze and Punto Naria, each one cut in some way to highlight shapes and throw relief onto the red cards placed behind them. It is a work of art and something to treasure.



























In return I sent two books, neither of which stuck to the A5 requirement but for my main book I did at least have a container! You know I had a raft of ideas which came to nought but in the end I was saved by two incidents coming together in that serendipitous way that things do. I happened to be given a stamp collection by somebody who knows how much I love them and rifling through I came across a 1970's set of explorers including stamps of Francis Drake and Walter Raleigh wearing huge Elizabethan lace collars and ruffs. Earlier in the day I had seen a book on, Paperfaerie, the site of artist Yvette Hawkins and I suddenly had an idea. I emailed Yvette to explain what we were doing and to ask if I could adapt her idea and she kindly came back straight away with a 'Yes, go for it'. Yvette had sewn a series of books to an embroidery hoop and it struck me how appropriate that was for a textile artist and then how it could look like a collar. I had a circular wooden box which I have been waiting years to use so I measured it all up and went ahead. I stayed with my black and white theme and painted the hoop black. I then scanned in lots of snippets of lace and printed it out to stick to black card for the book covers. The pages are from an old book about making lace which was my only purchase for a penny from Amazon. I stitched it all together with white crochet thread and painted my box black and luckily it all fitted inside. Don't ask how many little books I made, stitched and sewed together. I lost count and did not want to know. Every time I thought I'd done enough I had to make a few more......




















The second book was an afterthought but hankered back to an idea I'd had a few weeks earlier but had ditched because I needed five sqaure doilies and did not have them. Ironically as I finished the lace book collar I went to a boot sale cum flea market and picked up a set of six lace doilies for a song. Even though I did not need to do it, this idea was still in my head and there was a compulsion to make it happen. I thought about dipping the doilies in a water and PVA mix to stiffen them as I wanted to fold them into a lotus book but then I remembered I have a can of spray starch! So, I sprayed them, they stiffened and I folded them, ironed them and then bondawebbed them together, made a cover and it was done all in less than an hour. If only the other one had been so quick to come together!












Working on this with such a talented artist like Gina has been a joy. It's been hours of work, mostly made by my own choosing because that's the way I am. Never work on one thing when you can have a whole raft of ideas going all over the place.... I have received something very special in return and something more than just a book. Exchanges like these reinforce blog friendships with like minded people. People whose talent is willingly shared. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.































15 comments:

Gina said...

This swap has been pure joy Lesley from the making right through to the receiving. Thank you so much.

Jill said...

I can only add that you are both extremely talented ladies- not only do all of these lacy books look exquisitely executed, but they are all inspired creations. What a pleasure it is to be in your circle of blogger friends.

Jane Housham said...

Such immersion in the project is the thing I really admire in both of you -- setting a theme and then really sinking down into the lovely depths of it. I love what you've both done and can only admire the thinking and the execution. Beautiful.

menopausalmusing said...

You are a genius! Both books are outstanding (as is the one you received from Gina!). Love the button that sits atop the folded lace one.

Marigold Jam said...

Beyond clever all of them! Amazing.

Joanna said...

Both of you have produced BEAUTIFUL artwork. There really aren't words to describe what you have created, it's simply wonderful.

xx

deanna7trees said...

fantabulous. you both did a great job.

Carol Q said...

just come over from Gina's blog to enjoy looking again at the work you have both done. beautiful and stunning. what clever ideas and such a joy to look at.

Chrissie said...

Unbelievable - from the inspirational idea to the exquisite execution - you are a bloomin' marvel! All three 'books' are completely awesome, what a wonderful project.

Sara Bowen said...

How gorgeous! Just beautiful work... Sara x

Nancy said...

Absolutely Amazing...both books. Wow!

Patricia G said...

This is such beautiful work. You are right, the internet is wonderful when it brings artists like yourselves together and when you share your work with us. Inspiring.
Congratulations to you both and thank you for sharing.

Anna said...

All three books are just works of art - such clever ideas.I love how the ruff idea came from the stamp!Thankyou both for sharing your lovely work.

Fiona Dempster said...

Dear Lesley - somewhat speechless best describes it I think. I came, I gazed, I devoured, I hungered...and now I need to let you know that the works are all so beautiful and your two responses absolutely inspired. The ruff! On an embroidery hoop! And the starched doily in that lovely fold! Smiling and happy...

Hollis G. said...

Just cruising through your blog and love the work with the lace. Actually, love all that you're doing and am enjoying learning more about your work. Especially printing. Thanks!