
It is said that no matter where you live in Pembrokeshire, you are never more than 20 miles from the sea or a beach. Well, I'm only about 12 miles from beautiful Barafundle Bay, part of the National Trust's Stackpole Estate and reached by climbing up steps and trawling a mile over fields to get to it. In recent years it has cropped up a couple of times in those '10 best beaches of the world' lists and deservedly so for it is a fabulous place, especially if you can find yourself alone there.

A glimpse of sunshine yesterday after all that rain and howling gales this week sent us off for a bracing walk over the cliffs. This is the gateway that meets you at Barafundle, built by the Cawdor family when the land was theirs. So that the ladies of the gentry could enjoy the beach a path was built all the way down to make it accessible to them.


The path is great until you remember that you have to climb back up it and hike back across the fields and down the steps..... yes, my calves ache today but one of my goals for 2012 is to get away from the laptop and do things that cost nothing but deliver much. As far as yesterday goes I can give that one a tick.
7 comments:
How beautiful it looks - I can almost smell the air and you must have a lovelt feeling of satisfaction after your walk too?
Looks wonderful Lesley. I spent a couple of hours in the garden yesterday, wondering at the fact that there is still a bright red apple amongst the mistletoe on the apple tree in next door's field, at the fact that my everlasting flowers are still throwing up pure white flowers when they shouldn't and picking up branches for fire lighting........ lovely to be out and about and as you say, embracing what costs nothing but gives so much.....
I'm sure I have a photo of a heavily pregnant me on that beach... twenty three years ago!
I've managed another good walk today although across muddy fields not on a beach.
What a beautiful spot - well worth all those steps. I managed a stroll 'round the block' not very inspiring, but it got me out of the house.
It looks so beautiful and very inspirational, I love spending a day at the beach, you are very lucky to be this close to one.
It looks a beautiful place, I stayed on Thorn Island off the Pembrokeshire coast about 50 odd years ago - it was an old fort in the Milford Haven estuary which you got to in a rowing boat and there were 96 steps up to the building. Happy memories of visiting little beaches and Skomer Island.
What a brilliant place Lesley - the light and expanse looks wonderful. The gate and wall are so different to our beaches; but so right where you are.
Post a Comment