'Within that little hive such hints of honey lay as made reality a dream and dreams, reality'
Emily Dickinson
An inspection on Sunday in our little hives showed that the introduction of the new queens has not been successful. Whilst she eats herself out of her cage for a couple of days to get into the hive, received wisdon says this is breathing space for the occupying bees to get used to her smell thus giving time to make her accepted. If she is not, then the resident bees will undoubtedly kill her.It would seem that neither of our new queens had the essential 'je ne sais quoi' and neither did we capture the queen with the swarm we were blessed with. So, we now have three queenless hives and no new brood. All the bees in situ are bringing in pollen and making honey but all that can happen now is that they will follow their natural lifecycle of six to eight weeks of life and then die. There will be no bees to take their place and the hive will falter and come to an end. We will be left with honey but no bees. A sad state of affairs but we are not alone as this is being reported as a dire year for beekeepers because of the atrocious weather. My husband has never been interested in taking their honey. The average life of a honey bee is six weeks and it takes the lifetime activity of six bees to make one teaspoon of honey! He thinks that for that effort they should keep the rewards of their labour but we will have to extract it if we are left with a supply after the demise of the hive.
9 comments:
These beekeepers, eh? I could NOT have sat in the car with a bin of bees, not if my life depended on it. So heartbreaking re the new queen....
What a shame about your new queens Lesley. This cool wet weather really does have a lot to answer for. The poor bees are having a bad enough time of it anyway without adding rotten weather to the mix. I really hope this new swarm is successful. No-one can say you haven't tried your utmost. I hear there is a faint chance the weather may improve by the weekend ... fingers crossed and good luck.
Jeanne
x
I', with Cathy here!! However I do hope you will be successful this time the life story of bees is fascinating isn't it? All that work and then you die!! Bit like us I suppose but we do get to do some fun things too. Although I do enjoy honey I often wonder if it isn't rather unfair to deprive the bees of the gold they have produced for their own use!
That should read I'm not I',!! Learn to proofread before posting comments Jane!
All the best Roy, I admire your perseverance and patience.
XX
We have a friend here at the moment who has similar stories to tell of his bees - fingers crossed for a new queen with your captives. How heart breaking after all the hard work. If it comes to it, I hope you are able to enjoy your honey. Just chatting to my friend and I' m sure I am teaching my granny to suck eggs here - he says when introducing a new swarm separate the the new girls with a sheet of paper, by the time they've chewed through it, they should be used to the smell of each other. He also asks if you know of a fellow bee keeper who can let you have a frame of day old eggs so the workers can create a new queen from them - I'm sure you know all these things already, but it's worth a mention.
Oh boy that's tough Lesley, I often find nature and animals and vegetables quite heartbreaking - usually the weather. You seem to be oh so wet this year. On books and bees - have you read the secret lives of bees? A beautiful haunting novel set in the deep south of the US. Go well F
That is sad news about your Queen bees. I hope you have success with your new swarm - it's fascinating.
p.s. I can recommend "The Book Thief" too! Brilliant book.
Crikey, there's such a lot to know with this bee keeping lark! I LOVE your husband's attitude about not taking the honey, that is so sweet of him :)
I do hope the new bees have a queen and they are all accepted and can live happily ever after.
I can confirm that The Secret Life of Bees and The Book Thief are both brilliant reads, in my humble opinion.
x
Post a Comment