Friday, 6 July 2012

Connections and Collections

I am always intrigued when random events come together and suddenly connect. I heard the fantastic news yesterday that my friend Sue received a distinction for her recently completed MA, her degree show being, coincidentally, the last creative exhibition I've been to in the past month or so. Her major working theme has been on collections  housed in the Oxford Museum of Natural History and the same theme of collections has become the focus of new work by textile artist, Stephanie Redfern, whose blog is one of my favourite reads. Through Stephanie's blog,which I can thoroughly recommend,  I was introduced last year to the work of Welsh artist, Clive Hicks Jenkins and I subsequently went to see his major retrospective exhibition at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth.
You're probably wondering when I'm going to come to the point here but bear with me.... because the connection is that after the exhibition I started to read Clive's Artlog on a regular basis and over recent months I've eagerly read the posts about the creation of two accordion books for a new exhibition, again at the National Library. Yesterday's post on the Artlog detailed the opening of it and, on the spur of the moment I decided to drive up to see it for myself. It was a joy as always to see art in a book form and the artists selected had all approached things in such a diverse way. Each had produced two books, Clive's being an alphabet primer and a book with pop-ups and flaps etc. Sadly the cases enclosing the books precluded trying them out... otherwise I would have tried, believe me! Pop over to the Artlog to see more photos and to read Clive's post about it. Whilst you're there trawl back through past posts to see how the books were thought out. It is another  fascinating blog and rewards regular reading.




 So, like buses, I went to one exhibition yesterday and then today found myself at two more! I went along to the private view this afternoon of an exhibition called 'The Memory Clothes' in Carmarthen, the first solo exhibition of my friend, Lynda Cash, another textile artist working with collections. Lynda's collections of treasured family photos, documents and memories that have figured throughout her life and career have been brought together with a mixture of printing and stitching skills and it was just lovely to see it all brought to fruition. Although I've known Lynda for about 8 years I never knew that her first job was as an apprentice at the couturier house of Norman Hartnell, a favourite of the Queen and the Queen Mum. One of the key images Lynda had used was her first weekly payslip from Hartnell's for £3 4s 5d. It made me wish that I had  kept some of my paper memories like this but I'm enough of a hoarder as it is so it's probably good that I haven't.




Lynda's private viewing was getting busy so I popped across the road for a quick look around the latest exhibition at Oriel Myrrdin. At this point I had bumped into another friend who I offered a lift home to and I could see she was not inspired by what we saw so I shall have to go back again on my own because I certainly was! On display were selected works from the British Council Collection from a raft of contemporary artists all producing work to celebrate the achievements and lasting legacy of Charles Darwin. I quickly took this photo but cannot attribute an artist to it. It is a beautifully rendered pencil drawing of a book cover and brings me to the last coincidence and connection because I have been looking at book collections this week and looking at drawing the patterns made by the spines of rows of books. Don't you just  wonder at how these common threads run through things and how blogging connects us all in invisible ways?

11 comments:

Sara Bowen said...

I foresee a delightful afternoon trawling through the links in your post! Thank you very much - and great news about Sue (I would have been very disappointed if she HADN'T done so well, with such amazing work!). Sara x

Clive Hicks-Jenkins said...

What an enjoyable canter through your 'connections'. I'm so pleased that you took your art-trail meander through Wales this week. It sounds as though you found it to be rewarding. Great that you made it to Aberystwyth.... many don' venture this far... and that the 'Open Books' exhibition didn't disappoint. Thank you for coming, and for posting about the exhibition. There's a real chance that it may not be seen outside Aberystwyth, and so it's good of you to encourage others along to view it while it's still there.

Very Best
Clive H-J

menopausalmusing said...

Oh my goodness, HOW exciting re Sue! Thank you for introducing me to more exciting images and blogs in this post. Know what you mean about how blogging connects - I have been covering sketchbook pages with emulsion in my free time and "doing" acrylic transfers - loving the randomness of it.

Marigold Jam said...

I enjoyed wandering through your collections. I especially liked the clothes made with memories but then again the books were great as too were.... I loved them all. I can see you will enjoy revisiting the last exhibition and one of the reasons why I prefer to see exhibitions by myself is because no two people see the same things in any form of art and it's like trying to shop with a friend who has different tastes to go with someone else.

Jill said...

Congratulations to Sue, and many thanks to you for taking us on this tour. I'm already familiar with Stephanie's blog, but Clive's looks really worth a read too.
At this point I would like to mention "Live in fragments no longer. Only connect..." and E.M.Forster's wonderful Howards End, but also to misquote - "Only Collect".

steph said...

Really interesting post Lesley. Hope the bees are ok and the moths are considerably less damp.

Things Hand Made said...

That list off connections is a bit like the idea that everyone is connected by 6 degrees of separation!

Gina said...

Thank you for a lovely post Lesley... and lots of lovely links to follow.

Jane Housham said...

This post is just brimming over with marvellous things. I particularly like Lynda Cash's clothes pieces and the drawing of the book. So much here -- thanks!

Fiona Dempster said...

Like you Lesley my fingers were itching to get inside the glass case and hold those books! Some of them look so intriguing I am peering in from over her. Laugh. Also love the fabrics and the clothes and the wall pieces - lovely connections indeed!

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Lots of very interesting work here Lesley and some links that will require my further attention!

Congratulations to Sue and very well-deserved too.

On a separate note I was mesmerised by your post on the swarm of bees and very sad to hear about the demise of the 250 plus bees in transit. It must have been very upsetting for you and your husband. We have a cotoneaster tree in the garden which has been dubbed the 'humming tree' due to it being completely clothed in bees on warm sunny days. With all this rain - nothing - not one bee in sight for days, weeks.

Lets hope we turn a corner soon.

Jeanne
x