Sunday, 10 February 2013

All white?

More wet weather has meant the ground is still too saturated to get out in the garden and try and prepare for Spring. Despite a few dry days this week we abandoned the idea again yesterday and went to the beach instead to get our dose of fresh air. When we came home I was struck by how our garden looks very damp, mossy and green. Everything growing seemed to be white or primrose yellow. The soggy ground is churned up by badgers, moles, squirrels and rabbits. That's the downside of a rural garden. On the upside we are inundated with feeding birds, especially large numbers of yellowhammers as well as many others that we see so regularly, we've become a bit blase about them. We shouldn't be, as we are very lucky to see so many. Failure of the autumn beech mast harvest has meant that jays, normally shy birds in a garden setting, also come daily, over and over again to feed from the seed we scatter around for them. They are very skittish and easily spooked. I am mesmerised by their huge eyes and jaunty crest but their colouring is most arresting too. It's like a soft ointment pink with a vivid azure 'go faster' stripe at the side. Just beautiful.

Hellebore seedlings are everywhere but they are too wet to transplant. Normally we pot them up and give them to friends or else we are over run with them but they will have to stay put this year. Whilst some of the established hellebores are still in bud, others are already finished. It is the same with the snowdrops. What a strange season here. Anyone care to let me know if you are experiencing the same conditions?







11 comments:

Anna Mavromatis said...

Weird weather and plant behaviour here too, but your flowers are so beautiful! Great photographs too..
Thank you for sharing your beautiful surroundings.
xox

menopausalmusing said...

Lucky you to capture the Jays so well on camera!

Joanna said...

Beautiful photographs, Lesley. The weather is doing all sorts of strange things and plants and animals alike seem very confused. I haven't really ventured into our garden - it's under water most of the time and bog-like when it drains off a bit. I'm sticking to doing my indoor jobs until the better weather arrives. Your birds sound more exciting than ours - we are inundated with crows, have a few blackbirds, thrushes and tits. Oh and a few robins. And I saw a couple of sparrows the other day - they used to be so common but I hardly ever see them now so I was quite excited to see this pair feeding on my bird table.

x

Marigold Jam said...

Stunning photos Lesley. Nature is very odd this year and nothing seems to be as it should does it?

Gina said...

Fabulous photos Lesley - especially the jays. Very wet and boggy in our garden so haven't really had much of a look around lately

Jill said...

We've had a good covering of snow overnight, and I hadn't filled the feeders so our half a dozen or so blackbirds were having a go at the fat balls this morning and the robin was watching me with his head on one side through the window 'till I made it out. Everything is wet and boggy and I've hardly been out further than the feeders since the start of the year. Looking forward to a change in the weather.
Your photos are gorgeous. Wish I could grow snowdrops. I've planted dozens, they last for a couple of seasons and disappear. Think it must be me. They don't like being disturbed, so I probably poke them around too much in the summer.
Great shots of the jays too. They always look so exotic.
I haven't seen a yellowhammer for many years. they remind me of our Norfolk holidays.
A lovely post.

Frances said...

I love hellebore flowers and in a few months will be able to see some near the lake in Central Park. It seems as if your season is so far ahead of ours over here in the States.

What beautiful photographs you've taken!

Best wishes.

Anna said...

Lovely photos, a pleasure to see and so much better than looking outside at my own garden! My snowdrops look a little short and stunted. My hellebores are all at different stages, it's certainly too wet here to do any gardening. I saw the first jay ever in my garden recently, I get lots of birds but not yellowhammers. One of my favourites are long tailed tits.

Jane Housham said...

What beautiful photos. Love hellebores -- and these jays too.

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Oh my gosh, such beautiful photos, Lesley! Our current garden has very few perennials and ephemerals, and I must say, I do miss them. Thanks for posting these pictures. The jays are new to me. :)

Fiona Dempster said...

Hi Lesley - I think the weather is odd everywhere - we are having a very strange time of it. I enjoy helebores but they don't grow here in the sub tropics; but I love that sculpture the most - covered in moss and ivy, sitting so patiently, she stole my heart.