Thursday, 14 February 2013

more glass


 I picked up the remaining pieces of my fired glass yesterday. They are not easy to photograph but hopefully the mark making is clear. The top two have had two firings and the one below is one of the thermofax/enamel experiments. Each of them is a physical reminder of the processes I learned from Christian. The next job is to make some of them into larger panels with leaded cames so that I have the samples in front of me for future reference, instead of in a drawer somewhere, sight unseen. I find it all very exciting but there's a lot happening at the moment to stop me getting carried away with it all.

On Sunday afternoon  I start the first of two, six week sessions at the National Botanic Garden of Wales. The first session is on lichens, like this one I photographed on my garden bench the other day. I am fascinated by oakmosses in trees and lichens on old stone walls and, as regular followers will know, on gravestones and memorials, so I am going to study them in more detail for a few weeks with experts. I'm also joining a friend on the geology sessions, another subject I want to understand in more detail.

And at the risk of sounding like a bit of a 'course junkie' I am actually running one myself next week too. I'm doing a taster session with the local authority on making handmade books and if it takes off, a five week course is planned to follow. This has all happened because I've decided to organise myself this year and promote printmaking and book making courses around the county either by myself or under the adult learning auspices of the council. I suddenly realised how many contacts I have and decided to make use of them. I am hoping for enough people to turn up to the taster session to make it viable. If they don't ,what with the glass and the lichens and the rocks, I don't think I shall lack things to be getting on with!

9 comments:

Joanna said...

Lesley, I LOVE your glass panels!

Wishing you the very best of luck and lots of interest in your new course(s). How exciting!

xx

Jane Housham said...

Wow, such a lot going on. The glass is beautiful, as is the lichen. I envy you your new 'pathways'! Hope the book-making courses really take off.

Fiona Dempster said...

oh me oh my. That glass is sublime - I love the imagery you worked with and the effect. I wish you well with your courses - good on you for getting organised! And enjoy your time with the lichen; time spent with moss is always time well spent I say.

Gina said...

Absolutely love the glass. Really hoping the book making course takes off for you. I would come if I lived nearer!

Celia Hart said...

The moths are just beautiful against the sky.

I'm very envious of the lichens course!

steph said...

I too am envious of the lichen and geology courses! The glass is fascinating Lesley, I like both the imagery and the monochrome colouring.

I hope your taster and hopefully the follow on courses go well.

Great images on your last post too; we have sun here, amazing, after weeks of alternating rain, snow and grey. Our garden is bog like, at the moment.

Chrissie said...

Oh, trying not to be envious of your courses .... but of course very pleased indeed for you with these new ventures. The glass is fabulous, clever girl.

Jill said...

Wonderful glass, I especially like the textures in the first two. Your courses should give you plenty of food for thought, let alone bags of inspiration. Looking forward to seeing what you do next. Do hope your workshops do well, just a bit too far to join in, I'm sorry to say.

Anna said...

Stunning glass and great photo of the lichen. Good luck with the book making session, it will be fun. As you say, plenty to do!!