Yesterday I screen printed some enamel onto glass and the pieces I did need to be fired before I can see how they turn out. This was something of an experiment for both of us as Christian does not use enamels in his studio work and we transferred the images on to the glass via a thermofax screen, technically better suited to fabric and even paper. Thermofax screens were new to Christian so we're both interested to see if the results can be the starting point for other ideas. I shall share the results when I pick them up but I also had the opportunity to try sandblasting glass yesterday, courtesy of Christian's friend Rod who has a sandblasting box in his glass workshop nearby. I loved it, although it is fair to say that whilst I did all the resist work myself, it was Christian that got his hands dirty and actually sandblasted all my samples. Here is a small selection:
A pva and bubblewrap resist
Torn masking tape on each side with both sides later sandblasted
Hand cut letters using sticky backed plastic. Ignore the wonky scalpel skills!
Pieces from a roll of adhesive backed fabric trimming
Sticky backed plastic resists on both sides. Sandblasted on both sides.
All in all I had two fabulous days and my head is full of the information I absorbed. I made lots of notes and have to think now what I will do next. This is not an activity that can just be picked up and worked on. Lots of tools and specialist materials are required so taking it further will require commitment and a real desire to do so on my part. I am keen to learn more and investigate how glass and print can be married together. I also want to try glass engraving and etching. So many things. Not enough time!
11 comments:
Such fabulous results! I do hope you get to do more. Are you going to do the stained glass painting weekend also?
What a fabulous opportunity that you've taken full advantage of Lesley. When thinking about stained glass one usually just thinks about cutting glass and lead work, but of course traditional windows were always painted too. When I was at college we had a large box of glass fragments that we were told came from Coventry Cathedral. There was lots of amber glass which we were told was cheap, it was thin and easy to cut. The blue was thicker and sometimes bubbly, but the ruby glass was thickest as there was just a thin layer of red on thicker plain glass as it was the most expensive. We weren't able to make a leaded piece, but made a design by sticking the glass onto a reclaimed greenhouse window. My piece shattered many moons ago, as it was stuck down with Araldite there was no chance of recovering any fragments.
Love your painted pieces, but the sand blasted ones look right up your street.
How EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!
So much for me to look at here and wonder at... I particularly like the sand blasted pieces which were blasted both sides. The bottom one has such a visual playfulness to it.
I went over to to look at your tutor's website and was blown away by that photo of the piece at the top of the stairs in the dental school. The COLOURS!!. I then went further into it and saw the chairs etc alongside other pieces. Amazing stuff.
What an exciting couple of days! And such fabulous results too. I really like the sandblasted samples, especially that last image.
What fun days you had with VERY interesting results. I loved all your examples; I wonder if you can drill holes to hang them in a window? Another line of work to follow... as you say, not enough hours.....
Did I see sand blasting there...?
Fantastic results, let me introduce you to photo resist film to sandblast through!
XX
Hi Lesley - I was totally besotted and in awe when I first read this post, went away, came back and can now almost be coherent. How utterly fabulous - you look like you went for it and got great results, so much play, exploring and learning. Almost as good as Massimo! I don't feel so guilty about him now...
Some lovely work here Lesley, very fresh and modern. I can see you getting commissions if you keep this up. Better buy that kiln...
lesley, very cool, really interesting way of making marks. i'm always amazed about glass...
What an interesting technique you've been working with. Your results are so interesting and varied.
Once upon a time, I spent some years investigating etching, aquatint and drypoint and really loved every minute. I was fortunate to be able to study with some very fine printmakers who were generous with both their equipment and their expertise.
I hope that you will continue your investigations and show us the results.
(I'm visiting here via Celia's wonderful site.)
That sounds like great fun and he end results are super! Moira
Post a Comment