Thanks to Jane at Marigold Jam I've recently found the lovely blog, My Wildlife Sanctuary. The other day Cheryl had some fabulous pictures of a Puss Moth that had been found in her garden. This is a beautiful moth but not one whose company we have had the pleasure of very often in our garden. It made me realise that it's been a couple of weeks since we put out a moth trap so with the weather being dry we put one out last night and I went up about 7.30 this morning to see what was in it. This is the time of year when more species are out and about. The beautiful Muslin Moth (above) regularly comes to light in fair numbers . So too does this Pebble Prominent.
Even more numerous can be the Early Thorn . This was one of 5 we had this morning. The build up of numbers at this time of year will coincide with the 2010 National Moth Night on Saturday 15th May. This year the event, jointly run by Butterfly Conservation and Atropos will be supported by the Bat Conservation Trust because you're being asked to send in reports of both moths and bats. Every scrap of information will help identify the issues facing these nocturnal specialists. Have a look here and read more. We only have a solitary bat who roosts under our fascia board but we will definitely trap moths on the 15th and submit our results.
As I sit here and write this it has begun to rain, something that will have a detrimental effect for sure on our larger cherry tree in the garden. When I was out in the greenhouse yesterday the sun was shining and I noticed how the blossom had suddenly appeared during the four days we were away. When you look around everything seems to have shot up almost overnight! The blossom is so delicate. They look like paper flowers hanging there. I hope the rain doesn't mean they'll be over before they've even begun!
I was slightly worried about leaving my seedlings for a few days despite wet matting under them but this borage is obviously as tough as old boots. Everything survived and is thriving. All the plants we're growing this year have been chosen for the pleasure of our bees. We have a new bed that we're going to dedicate to just vegetables, herbs and a few key annuals and it's sited in the flight path of the hives. Our cold frame is overflowing with nectar rich plants and we're starting the planting this weekend. We're not expecting great things this year but hope to get it started off with gusto. The borage is a voracious self seeder so I'll probably be trying to thin it out next year but bees love it and it is a great companion plant for courgettes , squash and pumpkin.
5 comments:
What beautiful creatures those moths are - wonder why butterflies are OK and moths not so?! Hope the rain won't damage your blossom - it is so beautiful whilst it lasts. Glad the swallows returned just in time! Thanks for the mention too.
Jane x
I have never seen a Muslin moth before, and her rather humble name belies her beautiful spotted grey silk and fur cape. Fascinating info. The Beds bat group are just starting counting bats in Luton. We occasionally see them in the summer, but so many people are having their houses extended and new roofs I guess their habitats must be diminishing. I have made a start on IDing bumblebees and got my BB conservation Trust pack this morning. I sent them a photo I took for help in ID a bee and they e mailed me back within a couple of hours (It was a Hairy Footed Flower Bee) My photo wasn't up to much but I was very impressed with the service. No more signs of swifts - those two must have been the vanguard!
Jill
Fantastic photos of moths.... just wonderful. I love that top one in particular. Flowers all the way here for the bees. Next door has the most enormous cherry tree, it has been there for at least 50 years and bees live in a hole in it so it is a great thing to watch.
The Muslin Moth is incredibly beautiful ... it really does look as if she is wearing a fur cape!
Beautiful cherry Lesley and your borage looks very healthy indeed. The bees are in for a treat in your garden in the summer.
A couple of pesky magpies have been coming into the garden trying to filch the songbird's feed - Jess chases them off - she is a little minx!
Jeanne
x
And of course Borage flowers are great in Pimms! It's lovely to see how Spring has sprung in your garden; have a lovely weekend of planting and enjoy your moths, Sara x
Post a Comment