Sunday, 23 May 2010

Workshops


It's been a week of workshops - one that I was lucky enough to attend and another that I was delighted to deliver. The picture above shows the results of a book making day I provided on Wednesday at our local museum in Narberth. The objective was to encourage older members of the community to record their memories for future generations using childhood photographs and photographs taken on the day. I did two sessions and was shattered in the evening but I had great fun. The groups were great. No-one had ever made a book before but they all had a go and produced something that will now be on display for a few weeks alongside bygone photos of the town and some of its famous sons and daughters. Children from the local school visit next week and they will be encouraged to ask their parents and grandparents to share their memories with them. It's a project funded by Age Concern and the Welsh Assembly Government and as I have just read and been inspired by the book of memories that my darling Mum left for us to read, it is an idea I would recommend to all.

The workshop I attended was yesterday, in Bromyard, near Hereford. I was going to make paper shoes! I saw the work of Pippa Meddings a couple of years ago in an exhibition. She had made the most fabulous shoes from paper and I inquired about workshops. Well, Pippa has moved into a new studio in the town recently and has got her workshops off the ground . Any thoughts that this would be easy were quickly dispelled. As a professionally qualified shoe designer , despite the fact that the paper shoes are a sideline , Pippa still makes them in the right way. We used proper wooden shoe lasts and cut templates and patterns and measured everything accurately. Pippa had maps and vintage papers on hand to use as well as fabrics. You can see from my insole (above) that I picked on a piece of sheet music that appealed to me and embellished it accordingly.

Similarly, when I made my straps I chose music that had words that fitted with my walking shoe theme. Slow, steady and cheerfully just about sum me up! The pattern design and cutting took all morning so I did not finish yesterday. I have sat outside enjoying today's sunshine embroidering french knots onto my straps and whip stitching the edges before constructing my sandal. It's not easy to see from my photo but it also has a small platform between the cardboard sole and the fabric covered insole.

I really enjoyed myself yesterday and today. It was a fabulous workshop that was well prepared and thorough. Pippa provided all the materials and even had a ginger cake for us in the afternoon! I think I have another obsession.....




9 comments:

Cheryl said...

Lesley....what a wonderful idea, making a book, and filling it with memories for future generations.
I can believe you were exhausted at the end of the day. These occasions are tiring but so very worthwhile.

The shoes are amazing. I just am in awe....anything like that foxes me. I would not know where to begin. They are very pretty.

Marigold Jam said...

Now this I do understand! I love the idea of those memory books and have in fact been thinking of making one myself just in case our daughter is ever interested enough to want to "read all about it"! Those shoes are fabulous though I cannot believe you chose music over maps for your pair! Sounds great fun.

Jane x

menopausalmusing said...

I think memory books are a wonderful idea. Lovely to be picked up and put down from time to time and read (hopefully) to future generations.

I loved the shoes made of paper idea. Yours looks absolutely lovely. What a fascinating workshop that must have been and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Your enquiring mind and creativity never fails to amaze me Lesley! Your paper shoes are fabulous! I love the musical/movement theme and they are so very pretty.

Great workshop for your local museum too. The collection of books above shows just how creative your students were and testament to your teaching skills! Memory books are a wonderful idea.

Jeanne
x

Chrissie said...

The memory books are great and will delight so many generations.
As for your sandal - what can I possibly say?! It certainly looks very professionally finished and you've chosen exactly the right papers, 'clever clogs'! ;-))

Pippa said...

Hi Lesley,
It’s great to see your finished sandal, it looks fantastic! It was lovely to meet you for paper shoemaking after our email exchanges. The books look great too.
Pippa
P.S. Love your blog!

Kitsch and Curious said...

Well, you already know I've been inspired by your book-making. (That sounds like you take bets on the gee-gees!)

The shoes are great - so much care to choose the right paper!

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Your workshops sound fascinating! The books are such a good idea.
My next school art project is about painting shoes and artists that do shoes. I hope that I can paint shoes as nicely as you have created yours!
|(I am typing this quickly before the internet goes off again!!)
Lucy xxxx

Jee said...

I'm trying to interest mother-in-law in a memory book to go with photos in the family album, but it's a slow process as she doesn't see the point of making a book! Love the sandal which reminds me that husband has some old sheet music I can recycle into something interesting. By coincidence, I'm just about to drive to Bromyard to meet a friend.