Monday, 7 November 2011

Bargain of the week

Carrying on the book cover theme I just wanted to share my bargain of the week last week. Picked up for 35p on a run down market stall. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw those wonderful clashes of pink, yellow and black. It was published in 1949 and I've never heard of the illustrator Cicely Steed so will have to investigate more. So garish, but I love it.













7 comments:

Jane Housham said...

Wow, yes, wonderful colours -- such a strong effect when you consider that the publisher was probably saving money by using such a limited palette.

Jill said...

These illustrations brought to mind Kathleen Hale's picture books of Orlando the Marmalade Cat and made me remember a tin tray we had when I was a child of Orlando's Wedding - if only....

Dan said...

Gorgeous illustrations - what a bargain!
You'd have loved the secondhand bookshop I found at the weekend, it was floor to ceiling with books of all ages.
Dan
-x-

Celia Hart said...

A wonderful find!

And what beautiful compositions in 3 colours - marvelous :-)

35p definitely a bargain!

Celia

Joanna said...

Great discovery - gorgeous images in the limited but vibrant palette.

35p was a real bargain.

Kitsch and Curious said...

What a wonderful find. Great illustrations!

menopausalmusing said...

You lucky, lucky girl..............