Sunday, 19 December 2010

All present and correct...not


I go out with a group of friends most Tuesdays and a couple of weeks ago one of them turned up wearing a lovely knitted shawl with a fluted edge. After a lot of 'oohing' and 'aahing' and questions about how it was made - she did not know as it had been a gift - I had a quick look and said it was simple triangular knitted piece with a ruched crochet trim. One of the others asked if I could make one for her as she would love it, particularly if it was in black. At this point I was politely assertive and said something like ...'in your dreams'. The following day the others phoned me and suggested I made one for our friend as a Christmas gift from us all to cheer her up. She has had a tough year of it with illness and relationship issues and the suggestion was that we all club together to buy the wool if I would make it..... at this point my assertion skills deserted me and I agreed. If only I had realised what a nightmare it would be.I remember now how much I hate knitting. I have had to pick it up and put it down frequently because the black was just too wearing on the eyes and the large scale of it has meant hours of work. Worst of all I ran out of wool whilst crocheting the border and had to go out and buy one more ball yesterday but the shade number is different and you can see a clear difference in the last few inches of the border. I am not happy with this but the option of starting again just doesn't come into the equation, especially as it has to be finished by this Tuesday evening when we will give it to her! I need to sleep on the problem and think about something else which is exactly what I've been doing all the time I've been stuck with this project. Every time it got the better of me I went off and did something completely different.....


First thing I did was make these felt wristwarmers for another friend. I am trying to use up my supply of wool rovings so if I make anything it has to be in colours I still have. Luckily enough she is a lover of earthy colours so these will be fine. Despite doing it for years I've not made much felt in the past year so when these came out so well I decided to make something else rather than go back to the shawl. I then decided to make some boots and a hat for the daughter of a friend. She's expecting a baby in March and I love making small things but the first pair of baby boots were a disaster. They went into the compost bin. I made another pair. They went into the same bin. Undeterred I decided to crack on with the hat - doing anything except that **** shawl. These pictures are not it. Somehow the template I made was a bit off so that is currently on the side folded,pleated and now made into a bag waiting for a button to close it with........don't ask.....

In times gone by I could turn out a baby's handfelted hat in an hour so I had another go. I used to make lots of them based on the 'flower fairies' figures so the mohair and little pieces inside are meant to be stamens and anthers (use your imagination please)
Once they're felted I used to cut the brim to resemble petal shapes but my nerve had deserted me by the time this one was done. The way my luck was going gave me no confidence I could do it properly! I'm just grateful it has held together so I quickly finished it with some buttonhole stitch. I thought about embroidering little french knots on it to make it look like a strawberry but suddenly realised that I was just making more work for myself.
I can do no more to the shawl until the wool shop opens tomorrow. I'm hoping I can get a skein that is closer in colour to the original. If not, I will have to decide what to do for the best. In the meantime I am distracting myself making a bag for another friend for Christmas. You have to pity the poor souls who will be on the receiving end of my efforts this Christmas. Next year, I will plan things better....... what was that phrase I said?.... oh yeah, 'in my dreams'.



10 comments:

Reading Tea Leaves said...

I would be over the moon to receive any of the above Lesley!

From what I can see from the photo of your shawl, quite honestly it doesn't look like a mistake at all, just a nice variation of colour that was meant to be! The mittens are great and the hat is pure genius. I love it and the idea of the 'strawberry' french knots - well far be it for me to make work for you my friend - but it would look so very cute!!

Happy crafting!

Jeanne
x

Marigold Jam said...

They will all be thrilled with their gifts I know. A thought for the shawl - might you use a different colour altogether to finish off the frill and then it will look as if it had been intended? With black it could be either a subtle shade of perhaps pale grey or if the friend has a favourite colour such as cerise then a couple of rows of that might do the job. Just a thought.

Jane x

Sue Brown said...

You are a fabric force of nature and I suspect far too hard on yourself. Making things for people is the ultimate gift, the gift of time. XXX

menopausalmusing said...

I am with Sue, you are far, FAR too hard on yourself. I just LOVE that cute baby hat and those wristwarmers are just lovely. Me? I am still stitching against the clock ready for the "Big Day"............ oh, and a card has gone into the post for you, but I don't think postie has made it up the hill for the last couple of days, so it may be still sat there.... sigh............

Sara Bowen said...

Yes indeed, "here here!" to the above comments: I think you've been fabulous and the recipients are JOLLY LUCKY! Sara x

Jee said...

I think Jane has the right idea - a couple of rows of another colour will take the eye away. Otherwise, I very much doubt the variation will be very obvious. Love the little hat and the mittens - reminds me I have roving that needs using too!

Jill said...

You have my sympathy Lesley although I am sure your creativity will see you through. Someone asking me to make something often ends feeling like a chore however much I love them or usually enjoy the process. Your baby bonnet it wonderful, I just wish I could get away with one myself. Any hat I wear always seems to reduce my visible IQ by 50%!
The wrist warmers look like yule logs - a bit of embroidered ivy? They're great.
Jill

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Gosh, you are so talented! The little hat is just GORGEOUS!! I love it!
Lucy xxxxxx

Dan said...

Hmm, do you think you might be being a little hard on yourself here Lesley? These all look great to me! I love the little hat particularly.
If you're not happy with the shawl, you could always do it 'Calendar Girl' style and get it from M&S (kidding!).
Dan
-x-

Anna Mavromatis said...

All these are true works of art! The hand warmers, the hat are story book items, they make me wish to turn more pages, to see more fantasy world treasures... Lucky friends to be receiving those and lucky you to have this kind of special friends that inspire you to create so much beauty!
PS the shawl is amazing too. The lighter shade makes it that more special!