Friday, 4 March 2011

The best things in life....


I've just been reading Jane's post over at Marigold Jam. It's entitled 'Santosha' which apparently means to be content. I think she and I shared the same sort of contentment today, albeit on opposite sides of the water. I met up with a couple of friends for a walk in the glorious sunshine we're having this week. Vickie lives in Penally, about 20 minutes from me, and she looks out over the view to Lundy from her house. Three of us trundled down to the beach at the bottom of her road and walked from Penally into Tenby, seen here in the distance. It was so hot you could feel the sun burning you as you walked along. There were a few people about, mostly dog walkers. My friend Di had her Border Terrier, Scruff with her but he never stood still long enough to be captured on film!




I spent most of the walk picking up shells and various bits and pieces like mermaids purses, seaweeds and the odd crab and scallop shell. It was all hanging out of my jacket pocket but now it's all in a bucket losing the sand covering everything. I want to pull some of it together to draw this weekend but if the weather continues like this it will be spent in the garden or going for another walk. Today was a day to feel glad to be alive. I was with great friends and in a place I love living in, doing something for free in brilliant Spring like weather that couldn't be bettered. Thank you for the new word Jane, it was definitely a day of 'santosha'.



8 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely photos. So glad you had a lovely walk and found contentment too Lesley. There is something magical about the waves continously rolling into the shore especially under a blue sky isn't there? You were luckier than me though if you were warm!! Enjoy the rest of the weekend and hope the sun continues to shine for you.

Jane

menopausalmusing said...

Ah yes, the "stuff hanging out of the jacket pocket" scenario........... you captured your day beautifully in words and in the photos Lesley. I always feel days like these have moments that you "bottle" mentally to bring out later and enjoy again...........

Dan said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic day out, and what a beach!!
Dan
-x-

Fiona Dempster said...

Sounds like bliss. And so nice to stop and reflect on the magic and wonder which is part of our every day - to celebrate the moments and the extraordinary in the ordinary. Enjoy your weekend.

Jill said...

What a beautiful beach. I love the way spring sunshine creates deep shadows and high contrasts, captured perfectly here. Thank goodness we had some sun yesterday as it is back to overcast today.
Lots of potential in the rippled sand and mussel shells.

Lucy Caitlin Higham said...

Your day out looks bright and cheerful. I love your dyed fabric in your previous post! Wish you could visit my blog, but I know you are having difficulties. Take care.
Lucy xxxxxx

Sophie Munns said...

How gorgeous Lesley!
these photos remind me its been a long time since I did just what you did here... lovely photos!
S

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Beautiful photos, Lesley. The last two are amazing together! Beautiful patterns and rhythm.....Gloria