Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Safe arrival


I had a phone call on Sunday morning to say my friend had given birth in the early hours to a bouncing baby girl. Indigo, already foreshortened to Indi, weighed in at 9lbs 6 ozs. I think that classifies her as a bouncing bomb rather than a bouncing baby doesn't it? Anyway, I had already gathered the remnants of my indigo dyed fabrics to make something so I set to.

My friend is a great fan of Kirstie's Handmade Home and re-purposing things so I found a vintage tray cloth I'd bought in a charity shop. Not only was it the right shade of blue, it also had a ready stitched panel in it.... and a few tell tale signs of former users..... but I disguised those with a bit of judicious placement and decided to just cut the letters for her name out of the fabric.
After some quick handstitching I went to the local framers where I found one frame that fitted without having one made especially. It would not have been my first choice but once I start I am sometimes guilty of accepting second choices just to finish something and move on. They cut me a mount for a £1 so I've just placed it in there and will finish it off properly later before I go over to see the babe tomorrow or Thursday.

I also made an amorphous blob of a rabbit from some other embroidered cloths I found at the same time. I have not uploaded the right photo to show the lovely little flowers on the cloth but I cannot go back and do that now as Blogger takes forever at the best of times for me. When I showed it to my husband last night he made all the right noises and gave me that indulgent smile they all have when they don't quite know what to say for the best. I am all 'babied' out now but I am looking forward to seeing her. Birth is a miracle isn't it.... just like my sewing.



8 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I am sure your friend will love the gifts you have made - I think the use of the dyed fabric for the letters is sinpired and it all works really well. Indigo will love the little rabbit - my daughter had a little teddy in similar vein which became her "cuddly" without which she wouldn't sleep and it was just the right size for a abby to grasp as I am imagining the rabbit might be? I know that look afrom my husband when I show him some of my creations as if he is afraid that whatever he says might not be quite right!!!

Thanks for the e-mail - will reply later today.

Jane

Gina said...

What lovely thoughtful gifts... and what a whoppa baby! My no. 3 was 9lb 6oz so I know how she felt!

menopausalmusing said...

Beautiful gifts, so personal and just lovely. I adore that rabbit particularly since I love the red and white combination........ So pleased everything went alright for your friend.

Jill said...

Beautiful gifts Lesley, I am sure your friend and eventually Indigo will treasure them.

Jee said...

Lovely thing, Lesley - lucky Indigo. We've just heard that we have a new great nephew - also a whopper at 9lbs 2ozs. He's in the Middle East so working out what to make/send to meet the weather is keeping me busy.
E-mail to follow in reply to yours - having trouble getting it to send, but I expect it will later.

Reading Tea Leaves said...

Lesley, I love the train of thought that went into making the framed name for little Indi! And the 'blob' of a rabbit is deightful!

Just catching up with a couple of your other posts I see that the weather has been treating you very kindly indeed. Those photos of your walk by the sea are stunning!

Love the scarves too - you are SO clever.

Jeanne
xx

Anna Mavromatis said...

Your handwork it's as amazing as everything else you do/sew/dye/paint/compose/embroider/photograph/write/think/express. Indigo is starting life with a unique and beautiful gift to welcome her into this world: a good omen, a perfect sign by a special person full of love!
Best wishes to her, her parents and you!!!
xox

Elizabeth said...

Ive just found your blog and love it and everything you do! I am so impressed, you have such great ideas, and this gift for Indigo is wonderful.