Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Still Life

I have no idea what started this train of thought yesterday but something triggered a mind wandering trail that started with Captain Oates and that famous phrase 'I'm going out and I may be some time.........'

Then I found a fabulous book online by Jane Ussher called 'Still Life'. It's a collection of photographs of the huts used by Scott and Shackleton during that period from the end of the 19th century until just after the Great War when expeditions to the Antarctic ceased. Deserted for 100 years but preserved by the forces of nature these huts are a time capsule of Edwardian exploration . I covet this book and want it but I also found this video launch of stills from the book. It will sustain me until I get the real thing. I find the whole thing hauntingly beautiful and very poignant.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Haunting Lesley, not only does it fulfil our love of distressed and vintage objects, but it holds the poignancy of objects touched and used by these brave men and looking as if they return at any moment.

menopausalmusing said...

You are right Lesley, VERY beautiful and haunting. I found myself sitting looking at it about three times and being fascinated by the lack of dust/cobwebs........ too cold?

Sue Brown said...

Oh the monochrome, the rust, the enamel and the quality of assemblage sculpture, all floating my boat. I can feel a trip to Amazon coming on. Thankyou for finding yet another gem. XX

Jann Gougeon said...

I'm entranced. Thank you for posting.

Marigold Jam said...

Amazing! I felt chilled just watching it and like Cathy I was amazed at the cleanliness of it all truly looked as if they had just left and might be back any time. I was fascinated bu the pair of shoes - did they dress for dinner perhaps since they hardly looked suitable for outdoor use in that climate, and the box of eggshells which I half expected to produce a tiny chick at any moment! Once again you have found something so different - thanks for sharing.