Thursday, 3 March 2011

Dye Hard


It has been a glorious week here. Sun every day and real warmth. It really does feel like Spring is just around the corner and I just want to get out and about but there are tasks that just have to be done. One of them was completing the little zippered bags I wanted to make with my indigo dyed fabrics. I have put it off since my previous post, primarily because, although I understand the principles of putting in a zip, I invariably cobble it together and make a mess of it. Anyway, I went for it yesterday morning and finished all four bags. They don't bear close scrutiny but I really like the patterning on the fabric so hope they take someone's fancy at the Wonderwool event. I still have a few oddments left and I've just been told that my friend's baby (which is now overdue!) will be called Indigo so I already have an idea for a present I can use the last few indigo dyed remnants for. No waste. I like that. A lot.
I also cracked on the other day and overdyed the silk scarves for Wonderwool that I plain dyed last week. I was triggered into action by a video link I was sent. It featured a textile artist using lemons, limes and grapefruit slices to discharge tea dyed fabric. One of those little lightbulbs went on in my head and I remembered using lemon juice to discharge some felt I once dyed with potassium permanganate on a felting summer school. I had a little pot of potassium permanganate crystals in my shed, bought from the chemist a couple of years ago. I don't actually know what people use it for from the chemist (probably better not to know.....) but it is an irritant so I always wear gloves and a mask etc. The crystals are brown but turn a wonderful royal purple once they hit water. It is an amazing shade which disappears as soon as the fabric hits the dye pot as everything turns all shades of brown very quickly. The less crystals, the lighter the look. More crystals give a darker, chocolatey brown but timing is crucial.
I used a thin plywood shape secured around each scarf with elastic bands to act as a resist and set about the task. Potassium permanganate can only be used on certain fibres effectively. Silk is one of them but time is, as I said, of the essence. There is a real time limit to doing this with two to four minutes being the absolute maximum required to get an effect. I was on a roll churning them on a little production line but then it all went haywire.......
Being a domestic goddess (who laughed?) I was also making a blackberry and apple pie at the same time. The cooker timer pinged at the same time as the oil delivery man turned up and it all went a bit pear shaped from there! I love pink and brown together but when I retrieved this lovely scarf from the dye pot after the distractions it was more holes than fabric.....

This stuff destroys fabric if left too long and, as you can see from the cobwebby effect above, it realy does work fast. I was so disappointed because there were some beautiful markings on this scarf that my photos don't do justice to. Of course I could still nuno felt into it for some unusual textures or maybe it could be incorporated into some other textile. Who knows? At least I have completed stage two of the scarf task. Now I have to decide if I am going to discharge into them with screen printing or leave well alone. Perhaps with my track record I ought to take the second option!



10 comments:

Fiona Dempster said...

Where do I begin? I want to go to Wonderwool and buy your beautiful bags (these and the previous post). I love your clotheslines with fabulous scarves dancing in the blue breeze; but I think I love the holes the most. How amazing? Just gorgeous and special and wonderful all by themselves. A delicious post!

menopausalmusing said...

Now I LOVE those bottom two pictures... all burnt and holey......... gorgeous!

Jann Gougeon said...

Oooo and yum yum! In particular the first and second. Very inticing!

Marigold Jam said...

Love the bags and the scarves including the burnt ones at the end - you could say it is the distressed look and charge more for those! Permanganate of potash was something that I remember being used to clean/dye the wooden floorboards at Grandfather's cottage. I had thought it a dye but when I checked it on the internet it seems it is also a disinfectant too so I guess my mother was killing two birds with one stone and we finished up with dark wood boards which were germ free!

Jane

Gina said...

I really love that last image with all the holes too - such beautiful colours and markings.

Jill said...

Lovely stuff Lesley, the little zipped bags look fine and I love the scarves blowing in the sun. I am sure you will find something to do with the holey ones - I am sure, as Jane says, you can make use of their distressed condition.

Dan said...

I bet the cobwebby ones are quite trendy nowadays!! I love the pictures of them on the line.
Dan
-x-

jo horswill said...

:) great!

Anna Mavromatis said...

Everything Fiona said echoes my thoughts and wishes...
Beautiful stuff, beautiful energy, beautiful being! (that's YOU!)
xox

Carol Q said...

I'm having a lovely time reading your diverse blog having travelled here from Gina's and had to tell you that my husband uses potassium permanganate for athlete's foot lol. It turns them a lovely purple shade....