
Thanks everyone for the comments re my visit to the cemetery. I knew I was not alone! For all those of a similar disposition can I recommend you read the blog of textile artist Mandy Pattullo. In her main blog
Thread and Thrift*, Mandy recently wrote about a new project she is working on, focussing on maidens garlands. I had never heard of these before and have become fascinated by them. She has set up a separate blog ,
Memento Mori to document the work and she has just posted some wonderful sketchbook pages all fed by motifs and the architecture of memorial stones. If you are of the same inclination as me follow the links. You won't be disappointed.
* For some reason I cannot link to the right post, so go to the archive for 2nd February headed Maidens Garlands.
4 comments:
Thanks for those links Lesley. Mandy's work looks fascinating.
I do know that the Victorians were absolutely obsessed by death, with memorials being ever grander and more elaborate. I guess it was something to do with Queen Victoria being in mourning for such a long time..?
Like yourself I have never heard of maiden's garlands, the history behind them is so very poignant.
Hope the sunshine holds good for you this weekend for more blossom appreciation!
Jeanne
x
Missed yesterday's post, and yes I have been known to wander around a cemetery or two. Always magic places. Mandy's work looks fascinating. The creative potential of the maiden's garlands appears to be in good hands, her sketch books are beautiful.
Beautiful photograph of the weathered stone and great introduction to Mandy Pattullo's work. Thank you!!!
That's a wonderful photo there Lesley.
Found Mandy's sketchbooks and they are just beautiful.
Post a Comment